Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lavillegr
Punch Card
Views: 973
Message 1 of 9

X1Y3 Randomly lags

I got an X1Y3 with i7-8650U back in September and since then I have been experiencing exoradic, random input lag. Initially I thought that it was an issue with a driver or Windows 10 as the problem only reappeared a couple of times, so I thought an update had fixed the issue. However, for the last few days the problem has been occurring quite often.

Regardless of the load on the CPU, everything on the screen freezes for 2-4 seconds intervals repeatedly. Input form trackpoint, touchpad, keyboard, USB mouse or touchscreen are delayed as well. This behavior is nor permanent and when the issue occurs it generally despair after 20 or so minutes.

Last time it happened I opened Intel XTU (the chip is running with the factory profile) and there was not abnormal power consumption, temperature or processor speed being registered.

Restarting the device doesn't change anything. Once logged-in and after a few minutes of light work, the issue appears.

Has anybody experience something similar? any guidance here would be appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 937
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1Y3 Randomly lags

Install Lenovo Vantage and update all drivers and BIOS to the latest

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lavillegr
Punch Card
Views: 905
Message 3 of 9

I have.

Last update was December 27th or so, but the issue was observed before and after the drivers update.

I have also clean install windows 10 getting rid of any program, file and previous drive partition and the problem still persist, which makes me think it is a hardware-related issue.

I sent an email to Lenovo support and hopefully they can help me to troubleshoot the issue.

mt2019
What's DOS?
Views: 902
Message 4 of 9

I have a similar problem on a brand new X1 Carbon. Please keep us in the loop of the outcome.

My device is fully updated (both OS and drivers) with almost no additional program and yet have the problem. It looks like the problem does not exist when using an external monitor. 

thinkpop
Paper Tape
Views: 889
Message 5 of 9

I've had exactly the same problem on my brand new yoga x1.

The mouse/trackpad and keyboard would freeze randomly for a few seconds, even when cpu usage was at 0%.

Mouse and keyboard lagging points to a problem with IO/motherboard, a severe issue which requires sending the laptop back for repairs.

However, what actually happens is that mouse and keyboards are fine, it is the DISPLAY that is not refreshing. I tested it by adding a simple clock widget to the desktop. Hence the problem "dissapears" when adding an external display.

Now, why the screen would randomly freeze? This is caused by Intel Display Graphics fancy optimisations, once turned off the "mouse freezing" issue goes away.

To turn it off go to "Intel Graphics Settings" -> "Power" -> Disable all four options (Power Saving, Refresh Rate Switching ect).

And done, problem goes away!

I've also disabled intel power boost, not related to this issue.

lavillegr
Punch Card
Views: 878
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the insight @thinkpop.

The display noit refreshing is exactly what is happening. Today while there computer was having another episode I manage to safely remove an USB drive and I heard the sound notificagtion, but nothing showed on the screen until 2 second later when the animated banner on the lower right corner was just finishing.

I will implement your solution and keep an eye on the behaviour.

I also had a look at the monitor driver in Device Manager and installed version 6.10.0.0, while the latest version on Lenovo's website is 6.9.0.0. Not sure if this would have an impact on the issue.

thinkpop
Paper Tape
Views: 875
Message 7 of 9

It's worth keeping drivers up to date however this will have no effect on this issue, just make sure you have the latest version of Intel Grapihcs Driver (24.20) available on lenovo support site. The latest version from intel (25) is not supported yet.

To go to the intel graphic settings just right click anywhere on desktop and click "Intel Graphics Settings" from the menu.

lavillegr
Punch Card
Views: 849
Message 8 of 9

Absolutely.
The issue has disappeared after changing the Intel Graphics options.
CogITate
Fanfold Paper
Views: 713
Message 9 of 9

Weird. I noticed that the Intel driver settings only apply to the "Balanced Power" power setting, not the custom power setting on my laptop (which has another name).  The custom power settings which my company created can be seen under Power Settings.  

Hopefully this fixes the screen freeze issues.  I've also experienced the mouse completely disappearing.    Closing the lid and opening (I have "Lid close" set to NOTHING under power settings) seems to bring it back when this happens but it was getting more and more frequent. Hopefully the display settings thing fixes it. 

Other posts / separate threads have suggested some of the Lenovo processor power and heat management solutions have contributed to these problems as well. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors