Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 1,017
Message 1 of 6

X1Y3 USB device breaking Modern Standby

As of November 28th, Modern Standby is completely broken on my X1Y3. It's consuming a ton of power - 3W+ continuously. The culprit is "WDF Power References for USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) (USB\ROOT_HUB30&VID8086&PID9D2F&REV0021), Driver:USBHUB3", but I can't seem to find what actual device is causing it. The Synaptics fingerprint reader and the SD card reader don't seem to be the problem at first glance. However, the root hub causes 100% active time, and so there's no way for the computer to go into a lower sleep state. This makes Modern Standby unusable. Anyone else find this issue? As a quick request, please don't use this thread to bash Modern Standby. I know its limitations, frustrations, and issues - this is certainly one of them. However, I'm more interested in finding if someone knows what driver or hardware might be causing the issue from their own experience. Thanks!

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 1,011
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1Y3 USB device breaking Modern Standby

Quick update: The culprit seems to be Windows 10 update KB4467682. I had gotten a BIOS update on November 26th, but Modern Standby worked fine. After installing KB4467682, Modern Standby has never worked again, except for maybe once, as far as the reports can show.
datasone
Paper Tape
Views: 968
Message 3 of 6

I was having the sleep issue on my X1T G3 and I managed to sort out and solved the problem. I don't know if the issue is the same but I hope it would help you.

I examined output of "powercfg /energy" and found that "USB Selective Suspend" was disabled, which kept all USB controllers (XHC and Thunderbolt controller) awake. And as hardware won't sleep, Windows kept software awake as well, which led to dramatically battery drain.

The proper way to enable "USB Selective Suspend" is through "Power Options" -> "Edit Plan Settings" -> "Change advanced power settings" -> "USB Settings". But I didn't find it there at first (maybe due to Intel or Lenovo), and then I find a way to get it displayed: Add a DWORD value with name Attributes and value 2 in registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3\48e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226", after that it should be able to change this setting in advanced power plan settings and the laptop sleeps well.

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 949
Message 4 of 6

Wow, that fixed it! I haven't seen power usage like that in days! After implementing that, I had to change some Ethernet controller settings, as it stayed active for some reason. However, all that done, and power usage is much, much better. Pretty idiotic that this isn't turned on by default now. I wonder how much the Lenovo TB3 issues and subsequent BIOS fix have to do with this, but it's odd that the KB mentioned above is directly correlated to it. Wonder what they changed. Hey, Lenovo, are you reading this thread? Could make a huge difference for some. Anyway, thank you!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 865
Message 5 of 6

There was an update that accidently disabled USB selective suspend and caused this problem.  We pulled the update last week, but it was live for several days so you may have gotten it.  There is an easier way to fix this problem that I posted here:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1C6-BIOS-1-34-update-halved-my-battery-time-...

Sorry for this trouble that we caused.  We will be putting out another update soon that will automatically fix this problem for most people.

thnkhckpd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 765
Message 6 of 6

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors