Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

05-14-2015

Campbell, CA

14 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 1 of 4

X1Y6 Powers up by itself

2021-06-27, 1:52 AM

Hi,

I have an X1 Yoga Gen 6. At night, I power it down (start menu --> shut down). Then I turn off my docking station (Kensington sd5700t). In the morning, the laptop is in sleep mode (with fading in/out power LED). This happens every.single.day. At first, I thought maybe I selected sleep, but then it kept happening...

I would like my laptop to stay off when I turn it off.  How can I accomplish this? 

Why is this a problem?

-I don't know what it's doing and find this behavior a bit creepy. It's probably just checking for updates, but the device turning on by itself is still creepy. 

-the docking station of OFF so it drains the battery a bit (I prefer to reduce charge cycles) 

-special bonus problem (possibly just related to sleep/wake, but I'm not sure yet): sometimes when this happens the screen is UPSIDE DOWN when the laptop wakes up, Windows Hello won't detect my face, and the monitor can't be detected. Folding the yoga screen backwards a bit to trigger a different screen mode fixes the screen position. A laptop restart fixes the monitor non-detection... I should just restart right away to "fix", but I'm trying to troubleshoot the monitor issue without restarting. Unplugging and replugging the docking station just results in Windows saying the USB device has malfunctioned... but I'm pretty sure the docking station is fine and the laptop is the issue. 

Thanks!

-Bruce

Answer
Options

91 Posts

07-15-2018

United States of America

205 Signins

1481 Page Views

• Views: 1481

Re:X1Y6 Powers up by itself

2021-06-27, 3:24 AM

Open Commercial Vantage, Select "Device", "Device Setting", "Power", go down find "Standby Settings", Turn off "Smart standby"

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

91 Posts

07-15-2018

United States of America

205 Signins

1481 Page Views

• Views: 1481
  • Message 2 of 4

2021-06-27, 3:24 AM

Open Commercial Vantage, Select "Device", "Device Setting", "Power", go down find "Standby Settings", Turn off "Smart standby"

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

05-14-2015

Campbell, CA

14 Signins

41 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2021-06-27, 5:33 AM

I've changed the setting, I'll post on whether that resolves the issue. Thank you for posting.

I looked at that setting before, and didn't think it would turn on the computer... In case anyone at Lenovo sees this, perhaps the help text for smart standby (shown below) should include a note about this and clarify how this optimizes battery power. (Turning on a computer the user thinks is off doesn't use less power.)

"This feature schedules your computer to optimize battery power savings during idle hours without sacrificing fast-resume experience of Modern Standby during hours of heavier use." 

Options

6 Posts

05-14-2015

Campbell, CA

14 Signins

41 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2021-06-28, 16:28 PM

Hi ujda765

That did the trick. Thank you!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms