Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

10-16-2008

New York, NY

9 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 1 of 8

X200 - Downgraded to XP but no sound!

2008-10-16, 0:52 AM

Hey guys,

I downgraded to XP using a flash disk and subsequently installed the vast majority of the drivers from the lenovo website, but the audio driver listed here (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70595.html) does not seem to detect my audio device.  

I'm not sure what's the problem but I called lenovo and was told that by downgrading to XP I had waived any right I had to technical support, which seems a little ridiculous.  

Is there any chance you guys might konw what the problem is?  

I also have three devices that still have the giant yellow question mark next to them:

PCI Device

PCI  Simple Communications Controller

Unknown Device

I can't seem to find any driver that'll get rid of those missing devices so any help would certainly be appreciated.  Thanks a bunch, everyone! 

Options

43 Posts

01-07-2008

Japan

74 Signins

683 Page Views

• Views: 683
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: X200 - Downgraded to XP but no sound!

2008-10-16, 5:16 AM

I would install ThinkVantage System Update and let it find all the necessary drivers from the LENOVO web site and install them.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=TVSU-UPDATE

Ballallaz

Options

5 Posts

10-28-2008

Belgium

9 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 3 of 8

2008-10-29, 20:03 PM

I have installed ThinkVantage System Update as you advised, but it did not solve the issue of PCI Simple Communication Controller, does anyone has any idea what it could be?

Thx for your support

Options

11 Posts

02-14-2009

USA

7 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 4 of 8

2009-02-14, 3:27 AM
bump because i am having the same issue after downgrading to XP SP3.
Options

3 Posts

12-31-2008

Chicago

8 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 5 of 8

2009-02-21, 17:17 PM

After a lot of trial and error, I've solved the Windows missing drivers problem - specifically the Simple PCI device/PCI Communications Controller issue. I assure you, the super-buggy Lenovo System Update does NOT resolve this issue by a long shot. My troubleshooting is based on eight (8) weeks of configuring 30 different x200 Thinkpads.

Here is my process:

Install Windows XP SP3 on clean, new WD Scorpio (320GB), Fujitsu (160GB), and Seagate (320GB) hard drives.

Install wireless driver from USB stick. In most cases, the driver was the Intel 5100 AGN.

Run Windows Update.Typically, there will be 33-37 Windows software updates, and three misc additional Thinkpad drivers (Trackpoint, wireless update, etc). Nothing major, although I do include them.

Reboot.

Run Windows Update again. It will find 6-9 more updates, including necessary dot.net fixes needed for installing the Lenovo System Update, which is coming up next.

Reboot.

goto Lenovo dot com, and install the newest version of System Update.

Reboot.

Run System Update. It will find 10-15 critical updates, all hardware related. In the 'optional updates' tab, it will find several more. I'm not sure why some hardware is deemed as 'critical,' and some as 'optional,' but I download them all except of Access Connections, which I consider unnecessary bloat. The typical load of the above-mentioned updates is about 297MB.

After install completes, reboot.

Login to Windows, and take a look at the Device Manager. The following devices are curiously still not installed correctly:

Fingerprint Sensor
Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus
PCI Serial Port
PCI Simple Communication Controller
Thinkpad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate II

(To all of you believers of the System Update: you can run it until you're blue in the face, and these devices WILL NOT install)

It's time to manually download and install the drivers for all of the above.

The Bluetooth and Fingerprint software are easily found in the x200 driver matrix, and install without problems if you run the setup.exe in their own extraction folders..
The modem is found under 'Communications:Modem' in the matrix as well. After extracting, update the driver from the Device Manager by pointing it to C:\DRIVERS\ModemOM\WIN2KXP

That leaves the other two missing devices. There was nothing simple about the PCI Simple Communications device, since there are several different Intel AMT drivers listed on the Lenovo site.

Download the one that says Local Manageability Service and Serial Over LAN (Intel AMT 4.0) driver for Windows Vista, XP dates 05 Jan 2009 (7vrw1109w.exe) and extract it. The final destination will be C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AMT. Through Device Manager, upgrade the PCI Simple Communications Device to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AMT\MEI\MEI - and voila!  Yes, that's correct - it works!

Finally, the elusive PCI Serial Controller driver resolution. You would never think to look for it under "Lenovo System Interface Driver - Windows Vista" in the driver matrix, but that's the one (7jif11ww.exe). It's very small ( 966,984k), but get it and install it. The point the Device Manager to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\SMIIF\smiif and you'll see that it now shows Intel Active Management Technology (SOL COM4).

I hope this gets a good response, and if it works for everyone, sticky it! Good luck!

Feel free to email me if you have questions.

Options

1 Posts

04-03-2009

los angeles, CA, USA

4 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 6 of 8

2009-04-03, 19:26 PM

wrote:

After a lot of trial and error, I've solved the Windows missing drivers problem - specifically the Simple PCI device/PCI Communications Controller issue. I assure you, the super-buggy Lenovo System Update does NOT resolve this issue by a long shot. My troubleshooting is based on eight (8) weeks of configuring 30 different x200 Thinkpads.

Here is my process:

Install Windows XP SP3 on clean, new WD Scorpio (320GB), Fujitsu (160GB), and Seagate (320GB) hard drives.

Install wireless driver from USB stick. In most cases, the driver was the Intel 5100 AGN.

Run Windows Update.Typically, there will be 33-37 Windows software updates, and three misc additional Thinkpad drivers (Trackpoint, wireless update, etc). Nothing major, although I do include them.

Reboot.

Run Windows Update again. It will find 6-9 more updates, including necessary dot.net fixes needed for installing the Lenovo System Update, which is coming up next.

Reboot.

goto Lenovo dot com, and install the newest version of System Update.

Reboot.

Run System Update. It will find 10-15 critical updates, all hardware related. In the 'optional updates' tab, it will find several more. I'm not sure why some hardware is deemed as 'critical,' and some as 'optional,' but I download them all except of Access Connections, which I consider unnecessary bloat. The typical load of the above-mentioned updates is about 297MB.

After install completes, reboot.

Login to Windows, and take a look at the Device Manager. The following devices are curiously still not installed correctly:

Fingerprint Sensor
Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus
PCI Serial Port
PCI Simple Communication Controller
Thinkpad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate II

(To all of you believers of the System Update: you can run it until you're blue in the face, and these devices WILL NOT install)

It's time to manually download and install the drivers for all of the above.

The Bluetooth and Fingerprint software are easily found in the x200 driver matrix, and install without problems if you run the setup.exe in their own extraction folders..
The modem is found under 'Communications:Modem' in the matrix as well. After extracting, update the driver from the Device Manager by pointing it to C:\DRIVERS\ModemOM\WIN2KXP

That leaves the other two missing devices. There was nothing simple about the PCI Simple Communications device, since there are several different Intel AMT drivers listed on the Lenovo site.

Download the one that says Local Manageability Service and Serial Over LAN (Intel AMT 4.0) driver for Windows Vista, XP dates 05 Jan 2009 (7vrw1109w.exe) and extract it. The final destination will be C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AMT. Through Device Manager, upgrade the PCI Simple Communications Device to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AMT\MEI\MEI - and voila!  Yes, that's correct - it works!

Finally, the elusive PCI Serial Controller driver resolution. You would never think to look for it under "Lenovo System Interface Driver - Windows Vista" in the driver matrix, but that's the one (7jif11ww.exe). It's very small ( 966,984k), but get it and install it. The point the Device Manager to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\SMIIF\smiif and you'll see that it now shows Intel Active Management Technology (SOL COM4).

I hope this gets a good response, and if it works for everyone, sticky it! Good luck!

Feel free to email me if you have questions.

Thank you! After fighting with T400 for 9 weeks, I got bunch of X200s (VZC model) which imaged almost right away, except for the wonderful PCI Communication and Simple PCI device. I figured one of them (the SOL one)  in under 8 hours, but had to turn to the next for the next one and found this post (after tech support opened up a ticket with me and told me they don't support anything other than the OEM image, ha-ha). You just saved me from having to escalate the useless tech support ticket to 2nd level engineers. Now if you could only make the HotKeys to work with SMS 2007..

Thanks again :smileyvery-happy:

Options

3 Posts

08-06-2009

United States of America

6 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 7 of 8

2009-08-06, 13:30 PM

Great advice - I had them all but those last two - System Update is not an option anymore - it wants to download things not necessary for operation, and it won't catch all the drivers you need anyway.

I always make an XP "bundle" of drivers whenever we get a new ThinkPad model. Wouldn't that be a nice service - download one file with all the drivers you need for the OS?

Thanks again for the post.

Options

2 Posts

10-13-2010

Montgomery, AL

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 8 of 8

2010-10-13, 4:00 AM
Thanks that worked for me all I really had to do was go to this directory to do a manual update C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AMT\MEI\MEI
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms