cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kiemyang
What's DOS?
Views: 344
Message 1 of 1

X200 ethernet/network controller not displaying at all (not just a driver issue)

Problem: the ethernet/network/wifi/bluetooth devices do not appear at all. For example, on Windows 7, these devices are not listed in the Device Manager, not to be confused with a yellow exclamation mark which indicates a missing driver.  Therefore, Internet does not work, neither wireless nor wired.  Local area networks are not detected.

What I tried:

I installed every relevant driver and utility (approximately ten?) from the Lenovo website, and there are no longer any yellow exclamation marks at all under the Device Manager.

I also upgraded the BIOS to version 3.21 using the Lenovo website, but no change.

This problem also exists in Ubuntu 10.04, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, and Arch Linux. For example, under "lspci", these devices are not listed at all.

The physical switch on the left side of the laptop has no effect in either position, on or off.  Fn-F5 does nothing.

I took apart the laptop and inspected the Intel 5350 wifi/wimax card, and indeed it's there with the wires connected properly.

The X200 was purchased refurbished in 2010. Everything has been working fine for two years, and only recently I cannot connect to the Internet.

So maybe this is a hardware issue.

Question: Can anybody suggest further steps I can take to diagnose and solve this problem? Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors