cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boim
Paper Tape
Views: 3,424
Message 1 of 9

X200: hardware interrupts causes cpu load?!

hi,

i have the lenovo x200 with vista 32 bit installed, and after an hour of use the cpu start jumping at around 40-50 % of load.

with process explorer i saw this is due to hardware interrupts and not by any specific service.

i saw a few threads regading this problem, but no solution (just standby and resume, but the problem keeps returning..)

can anyone pleaseeeeeeee help me??

Moderator note: Type added to subject line for clarity.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 05-05-2009 09:15 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,416
Message 2 of 9

Re: hardware interrupts causes cpu load?!

Boim welcome to the forums

Hardware interrupts are a common thing in any OS .Depending on the priority of the hardware device a CPU has to provide its resources,hardware interrupts occur often.Do you get more interrupts when you are perfoming large data transfers?if so  the system's DMA creates interrupts to transfer that huge data

You may generate a system health report from the tools menu in control panel and get reports on the working of various hardware resources and system response time.

hope this info helps you

Message Edited by vijaysaradhi on 05-03-2009 04:15 PM
boim
Paper Tape
Views: 3,411
Message 3 of 9

hi,

i can't figure out when or why it happens (for your question regarding data transfers). but when it happens, it does not stop until i put the computer in sleep.

i did not find the please to create a system health report. can you be more specific (i am using vista).

and thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,402
Message 4 of 9

controlpanel-->system and maintainence-->performance information and tools-->advanced tools(select this option  from the left side)

then select the option "generate system health report" 

boim
Paper Tape
Views: 3,392
Message 5 of 9

ok, found it.

but i am not sure what i am looking for.

is there a category there where i can find the hardware that causes the hardware interrupts?

otherwise, what should i look for there?

ludekholoubek
What's DOS?
Views: 3,053
Message 6 of 9

Solved by Czech phorum.

The problem was caused by graphic driver from lenovo not updated for long.

I downloaded lastest from intel and installed from zip.

lot of czech guys tried the same and helped.

The discavered this behaviour since they need to use graphic a lot and changed driver to newer from lenovo and got the problem.

it looks it solves problem.

boim
Paper Tape
Views: 2,993
Message 7 of 9

ok,

so installed it, and so far so good.

hopefully it will solve the problem.

if not, i will update this thread.

thanks!

Highlighted
MikeSL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,629
Message 8 of 9

This isn't a specific fix for this specific issue, but I've found with a very similar "excessive hardware interrupts" scenario I experienced over the past few months (Windows XP, Thinkpad T61) that:

1. There was ample evidence in the output of the KrView.exe tool (KernRate from Microsoft) that these issues were caused by drivers that were responding to (or firing off) APIs with names like "AddDevice()", and that the vast majority of the unnecessary/excessive/CPU-consuming interrupts were directly related to these API calls.  (Note: KernRate is likely not supported on Windows Vista - at the very least, Microsoft strongly encourages those with Vista/Server 2008 or later to use the Windows Performance Analysis Tools in place of KernRate.  I have no experience using these tools, and cannot guess whether they provide similar detailed kernel tracing capabilities, but I surely hope so.)
  2. Disabling the "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface" helped reduce the number of occasions of this problem.
  3. Upgrading the "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family" driver to the latest (v6.14.10.5029) finally stopped the last remaining case of these excessive Hardware Interrupts from occurring.
My conclusion?  This is not an uncommon type of API call for a driver to make/respond to - since many device drivers, such as multi-output video adapters and other hardware-controlling devices are trying to emulate the Windows "plug and play" behaviour.  Thus, it's likely there are many potential sources of these "excessive Hardware Interrupts", and addressing each potential troublesome driver is the only way to drive *all* the sources of the error to ground.  Thankfully I don't seem to *need* the Intel ME Interface driver for my computer to operate, and thankfully there was a recently-released version of the 965 video driver that didn't have the issue.  YMMV, and it's a long road to travel (I spent at least two months obsessively pursuing this issue), but I suspect there almost always *are* solutions, if you're patient and persistent enough.
boim
Paper Tape
Views: 2,624
Message 9 of 9

dude, i dont know..

since i installed the new video driver, everything works ok Smiley Happy so i am happy Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors