Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ochase
Paper Tape
Views: 1,829
Message 1 of 7

X200 power management issue - excessive battery drain

I've been having a bit of an issue for some time with my X200 that I'm hoping somone may be able to offfer some insight on.  My 9 cell battery only gives about 6 hours on a full charge.  The laptop is about 5 months old, but the battery is in good shape (82kwh out of 84kwh capacity).

On an initial startup the power usage is normal, hovering at around 7-8 watts (looking at the Battery tab wattage in Power Manager). This level roughly maintains even if i am doing light tasks.  This strikes me as normal, and would give the regular nine or ten hours of battery life I had when i first got the computer.

However, if I allow the computer to either sleep or hibernate, even a few minutes after resume the power consumption (AT IDLING, nothing open) rises to an idling pace of about 11-12 watts. This doesn't go back down to the pre-sleep/hibernate levels, ever (until a restart).  The 25% or so increase in power consuption after sleep/hibernate happens regardless of which power profile I'm in (though the above usage #'s assume I'm in max battery mode with 4 bars of screeen brightness os so).

This means that 25% or so more power is being consumed after the computer resumes from sleep or hibernate, with a corresponding drop in battery life.  Can anyone offer some insight on why this might be, ways I might go about trying to figure out where the excesssive power onsumption comes from, and/ or possible fixes?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,812
Message 2 of 7

Re: X200 power management issue - excessive battery drain

Have you confirmed that if you do NOT hibernate or sleep, the power consumption is lower and runtime longer? I would check that first to make sure it is related to hibernate/sleep.

Either way I would also make sure you are up to date on all the latest drivers AND BIOS fixes.

ochase
Paper Tape
Views: 1,802
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply, ecetim:

Yes. I have confirmed that.

If I do not hibernate or sleep, the wattage (under power manager>battery) stays around 7-8 watts/h with websurfing (occasionally peaking at around 11-12 for only a moment when loading a page).  Idling it sits at about 6.5.  I haven't looked for a full battery cycle, but have confirmed this over about four hours or so.

Then, if i close the lid/ enter sleep or hibernate, upon resume the idling usage when doing nothing rises to around around 11-12, and with minor web browsing it is around 14-15.  This does not settle down to pre-sleep levels EVER (without a restart).   I have watched for three hours or so to check.

I have all the latest updates through Thinkvantage System Update (which I assume would do all the drivers and BIOS updates) and through MS windows.

Any more ideas/ suggestions as to what is happening would be most welcome.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,771
Message 4 of 7

How is your notebook configured? Can you list out the full specs?

Do you have any USB devices that you keep plugged in to it? Or any other devices at all for that matter? External WiFi, WWAN, etc?

ochase
Paper Tape
Views: 1,725
Message 5 of 7

Its a thinkpad x200 7454-CTO

Specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8400 (2.26GHz)

Vista business (32 bit)

4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 (2 DIMM)

160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm  

Intel GMA x4500

Integrated Fingerprint reader

Integrated Bluetooth

Integrated Camera

Intel wifi link 5300

Enhanced 9-cell battery

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,722
Message 6 of 7

Sometimes USB devices can cause power management issues. I believe most integrated webcams operate through a USB interface. You might try uninstalling or disabling the webcam through the Device Manager and see if that changes anything.

m0biusace
Punch Card
Views: 1,615
Message 7 of 7

I have this EXACT same problem. I've tried EVERYTHING to remedy it. It happens under XP Pro. Vista Ultimate, and now 7 Ultimate as well. Sometimes the problem doesnt exist for a while, then it comes back consistently. It is happening right now actually. 7-8w at idle, then i sleep and wake up and its up to 10w at idle. Every time I reboot and sleep, the same thing happens.

NO USB devices attached.

Bluetooth is NEVER on.

Wifi on/off does not impact the problem. 

Tried every power configuration setup possible. 

Its annoying enough that i'm thinking of selling my x200 and moving to another laptop. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors