cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
all4sifu
Paper Tape
Views: 570
Message 1 of 3

X200s - Backup to USB hard drive wiped the hard drive. help needed, a few questions

I backed it up using thinkpad rescue & recovery, then copied the backup to the hard drive, again using rescue and recovery.

Is it normal that backing up my hard drive to an external USB wiped it?  i imagine it reformatted it.  

A few questions:

• Can i use the hard drive for other files now? or will they be re-wiped with a scheduled backup?
  • are there built-in tools to recover? (any recommendations?)
  • can i put the backup in a directory off the root folder?  it is all a mess straight off the drive.

any other advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Hokken
Punch Card
Views: 525
Message 2 of 3

Re: X200s - Backup to USB hard drive wiped the hard drive. help needed, a few questions

When you back up to a USB hard drive for the 1st time the disk will be prepared to make it bootable and it will delete other files that are on it. You should be able to recover your files using application like the one at http://www.recovermyfiles.com/, I used that one in the past and it worked a treat. If you want to back up to a USB hard I would not suggest you add other files on that drive manually but use it only for the thinkvantage backup.

knowthenazz
Punch Card
Views: 519
Message 3 of 3

Re: X200s - Backup to USB hard drive wiped the hard drive. help needed, a few questions

I recently did a similar operation to you  I backup my drive using R&R (stored on the hidden partition on my local HD), and then copied the backup to my USB drive, using R&R. 

I didn't reformat my drive.  It was already formatted though.  In fact, I had other data stored on it before using R&R.  And after the R&R backup, all my original data on the USB drive was still there, with some additional files and directories. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals