Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
x200snewbie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,224
Message 1 of 8

X200s tried to add webcam - now neither webcam, nor thinklight will work

Hi all,

So, as the username hopefully indicates - a newbie to the x200s, which I bought recently, though I've been using thinkpad products for a few years now (a devoted fan!)

My x200s did not come with a webcam and, since I am thousands of miles from home, I reckoned I would try and install one manually. Note that I have swaped its HDD for an SD & changed keyboard in the past with no problem, so I was assuming (foolishly, perhaps!) that vaguely knew what I was doing.

I followed the instructions and user experiences on this thread, I purchased this camera - and got off to work.

Even though everything seemed fine when adding the camera to the system, a strange thing happened after I rebooted (I run Linux Mint 16): neither the webcam, nor the thinklight were now working. After lots of testing, I assumed I must have just destroyed part of the cable during installation, and so I purchased this cable (Lenovo ThinkPad X200 LCD Video Cable 44C9909) and tried again. Same result! The only difference is that the first time round, an "lsusb" command on linux would return a Ricoh product (and I assume that's the webcam), but it would still not be recognised by Mint, while now, there's nothing. In both cases, the Thinklight didn't work.

Since both the thinklight and the webcam come out at the same end (see the right end of the cable on this picture) I am assuming, of course, that the two are related.

Would anyone know which of the clips on the left end of the cable on the same picture, above, correspond to the webcam and the thinklight?

Thanks for reading, and any response and thoughts on the above would be most appreciated - a little bit at loss at to what to do now.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,198
Message 2 of 8

Re: X200s tried to add webcam - now neither webcam, nor thinklight will work

Hi,

perhaps HMM and Service Video might help.

Be sure integrated camera is enabled in the BIOS Setup menu.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

x200snewbie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,193
Message 3 of 8

Many thanks for your response, x220forMe. I had no idea that the camera should be enabled in the BIOS Setup, or indeed that there is such an option. Could you perhaps tell me where I could activate it?

Since the thinklight "died" while I was trying to install the camera, and given that they both come out of the same cable end, I was assuming there was something wrong with the cable (which is why I purchased a new one, but no luck). Now, I am a little bit at loss: would it be a bad connector? Or a freak chance by which both camera and thinklight decided to stop working? Pretty improbable Smiley Happy

Thanks again!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,191
Message 4 of 8

BIOS Setup:
Security menu -> I/O Port Access -> Integrated Camera.

Do you have appropriate keyboard driver to force the thinklight to work?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

x200snewbie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,188
Message 5 of 8

The camera does not show up under I/O Port Access... and the thinklight did work just before I tried to install the camera, so I am assuming the answer to that one is yes, right?

Cheers Smiley Happy
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,179
Message 6 of 8

It should be. Did you scroll down the list of devices (ports)?
I can't believe if the presense of the camera related BIOS item depends of the laptop factory configuration (platform, i.e.Machine-Type).

x200snewbie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,172
Message 7 of 8

Yup, just checked again and it's not there. Weirder even, I've now removed the camera to see if - at least - the thinklight will go back to working, and it doesn't - before, with the exact same configuration, it was.

That only leaves me assume one thing: I must have pulled/misplaced the part of the cable that connects both the camera and the thinklight. Since I've already tried two cables, I can (hopefully!) rule out having destroyed them. But where might the cable part that corresponds to the webcam&thinklight connect to? That's my billion dollar question Smiley Happy

Thanks again and again...
Andrey_HH
Paper Tape
Views: 218
Message 8 of 8

Hello,

I found this thread and decided to post my question here. I recently bought X200s at eBay, it came with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit preinstalled and activated. I have to admit, I haven't checked if the webcam was present in Device Manager at the very beginning. Then I started to install all possible updates, including BIOS update (provided by "System Update" of Lenovo). Then I realized, I see no cam in the device manager, Skype also couldn't detect any cam. In the BIOS (Security-IO) there is no entry for the webcam (but there is one for the wrieless USB, which I physically do not have). The display cable is also 44C9909, Thinklight and Bluetooth work properly.

I have to admit, I have no idea why I cannot use the cam. BIOS-problem? If so - can anyone tell me, which version of the BIOS "saw" the cam. Physical defect? Where? Connector between cam and cable? Perhaps, cam unit is incompatible / wrong FRU?

I would appreciate any hint.

Cheers,

Andrey

T60p UXGA, T2300, 3 GB, Linux Mint + Win7 Pro

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors