Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

01-16-2011

Thornhill, Ontario

6 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 1 of 3

X201 - All thermal Sensors have become 'inactive' based on Thinkpad Fan Control

2011-01-28, 20:16 PM

Just this morning I powered on the laptop to find that the left side of the keyboard was getting very hot. I couldn't feel any air coming out of the fan exhaust. The computer then froze after 1-2 minutes of boot.

I found that the fan only spins up during system startup (BIOS post) and slows down to a stop while booting windows 7.

I discovered a utility called Thinkpad Fan Control to manually control the fan speed and have set it up with startup parameters to automatically go into manual mode. In this utility, I see that all the thermal sensors are showing 0 degrees, there is also a switch that controls the display of active and inactive thermal sensors. When I change the radio button to active, I see no sensors listed in the window, when I change it to show 'all', I see all of the ones as below:

1 CPU n/a
2 aps n/a
3 crd n/a
4 gpu n/a
5 no5 n/a
6 x7d n/a
7 bat n/a
8 x7f n/a
9 bus n/a
10 pci n/a
11 pwr n/a
12 xc3 n/a

But none of them have show any temperature readings. Is a BIOS update necessary? Has anyone else experienced this before?

See pic here: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7317/128201130938pm.png

Options

174 Posts

08-02-2010

Australia

188 Signins

3292 Page Views

• Views: 3292
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X201 - All thermal Sensors have become 'inactive' based on Thinkpad Fan Control

2011-01-31, 20:38 PM

X201_USER there are quite a few people who are experiencing sudden system shutdowns on the X201 unit it could be unrelated but you never know.

I have had a feeling for quite a while now that it is a heat related issue causing the shut downs question is most system shutdowns due to this often leave a system error thermal event ?

But if the sensors in the computer are not working then Im left wondering if the computer would even know why it shut down. Can you tell me has it ever just shut down or does it ever report a themal event as a cause for the freezing (you may need to check event manager in the administrator tools)

In regards to your issue please call technical support and log a warranty call make sure to record the job referance number and who you spoke to the time and date of the call.

Options

10 Posts

05-25-2012

Chicago

21 Signins

219 Page Views

• Views: 219
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X201 - All thermal Sensors have become 'inactive' based on Thinkpad Fan Control

2012-08-18, 15:41 PM

I have the same problem after a system update yesterday.

I updated:

• BIOS (from 1.38 to 1.39)
  • Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software for Windows 7
  • ThinkVantage Active Protection System
  • Synaptics UltraNav Driver
  • Intel Rapid Storage AHCI Driver (from 10.6.0.1002 to 11.2.0.1006)
  • Intel HD Graphics Driver

I was already using ThinkPad Fan Control (also known as tpfancontrol or tpfc). Before the update, it worked beautifully and solved my cooling problem. After the update, all the sensors became "n/a." Now my laptop runs hot, even when I disable tpfancontrol and let Windows take care of cooling.

In the past, I had experienced unexpected shutdowns while playing a computer game. I attributed these to overheating. I read online that cooling is a common ThinkPad problem, which is why tpfancontrol has become so popular. After installing tpfancontrol, my problems were solved (until I updated my system!).

Also, after updating, I have two devices in device manager that cannot start (code 10) or were disabled due to issues (code 19):

1. Intel AMT SOL (COM4)
  2. ThinkPad PM Device
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms