Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thetuber
Paper Tape
Views: 4,344
Message 1 of 9

X201 Fan Replacement Does Not Fix Fan Error

The other day, I had to reboot my X201 (normally it just goes to sleep). On boot up, it complained about the ubiquitous "fan error". Before reading about the "esc" escape, I was able to spin the fan manually to get past the error. Eventually, even that stopped, but fortunately I read about the "esc" trick. I was able to buy a replacement third party fan, but it never spun, and still got the fan error. Thinking it was a bad fan, I bought another third party fan from someone else, and got the same results. Any ideas on what to do next? Do I need to have a real Lenovo fan (FRU 60Y5422) because it has special sensor (like ink cartridages)? Or is there something wrong on the motherboard? Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,335
Message 2 of 9

Re: X201 Fan Replacement Does Not Fix Fan Error

Most likely is that you have blown a fuse on the motherboard.  There is a fuse (usually 0.5-amp) on the motherboard

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
thetuber
Paper Tape
Views: 4,259
Message 3 of 9

Where is the fuse? Is this something than an unskilled hobbyist can replace? Thanks.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,255
Message 4 of 9

I don't know or sure, but most models have it very near the fan connector.  It needs some skill and a good temperature-controlled rework stations.  Most repair places cannot do that sort of repair.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
thetuber
Paper Tape
Views: 4,216
Message 5 of 9

Assuming the fuse is the large gray cube in the picture, I was able to verify continuity with a multimeter. Then I checked for voltage between each pair of pins at the fan connector during power on, but got nothing.x201-fuse.jpg

blueswords
Paper Tape
Views: 4,197
Message 6 of 9

I'm no expert, but that "large gray cube" should be an inductor, as the "L12" silk print on the board suggests. The fuse should be "F8", the white small surface mount chip with an "z" on top, located on the right side of the 6 pin black chip with "58A" on top.

thetuber
Paper Tape
Views: 4,189
Message 7 of 9

I saw the F8 on the other side, and thought it applied to the gray cube. I now checked the right one, and there is no continuity. However, it doesn't look like an easy task to replace this fuse. At least, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to solder/desolder something this small. Right now I have an external fan blowing into the old air inlet, but this is not really a good solution because the fan is annoyingly loud and the setup is a little bulky. Any ideas on what can be easily done? On another board, someone suggested just to piggy back a new fuse, but even that looks iffy given the size involved and my lack of soldering experience.
ARBC
What's DOS?
Views: 2,826
Message 8 of 9

I had the same issue:  replaced the fan but the message (fan error) did not stop.

I checked the F8 fuse and it failed the continuity test onthe multimeter.

I decided to repair it myself: I improvised a lupe support and soldered (40W soldering iron) a small jumper on top of the F8, using a small rigid wire, ensuring both ends are shorted.  Pictures below!
BTW, it worked! No fan error! Smiley Happy

IMAG0681.jpgIMG-20180602-WA0009.jpeg

KL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,017
Message 9 of 9

ARBC,

You should not be soldering a jumper wire across a blown fuse, the fuse is there for a reason, and blew for a reason, i.e. over current, the next time whatever fault that caused the fuse to blow will smoke your motherboard!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors