Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StarfireBlack
Fanfold Paper
Views: 433
Message 1 of 3

X201 Fan not automatically starting properly

Hi all!

I have had this issue for a long time now, but only just getting round to posting finally.

I know others have posted about fan issues but mine seems different and tried everything on the other threads with no luck.

I will bullet point things so it is easier to understand;

*Fan will not start on boot and will stay off until temperature causes shutdown.

*Fan works fine in BIOS.

*If I blow into the fan to get it spinning it starts up and will then stay functional, even after reboots, until it is properly shut down.

*Tried TPFanControl on each setting and fan still does not start. It does control the fan as it should if 
I maually kickstart the fan.

*On Windows 10 - tried reverting to Windows 7 but the issue persisted so returned back to Win10.

*Replaced the fan twice, no change.

*Never had the "fan error" popup.

I think that covers everything, and the issue seems to be the initial kick to get the fan spinning as is fine afterwards. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Regards

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 420
Message 2 of 3

Re: X201 Fan not automatically starting properly

I don't have a circuit diagram, but since it has a simple electric motor, it is likely that there is a starting capacitor that discharges at power up to provide the extra boost needed to get the motor to get moving initially.  If that capacitor blows, it will act as you described.  (A couple of months ago, I changed a similar part in my coffee grinder.)  Probably, you are looking at a motherboard replacement to fix it, but if you have a rework station and can figure out what capacitor is bad, it might be repairable.  The capacitor is likely to be larger (cylindrical?) than the tiny SMD capacitors that are mostly used.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
StarfireBlack
Fanfold Paper
Views: 403
Message 3 of 3

Re: X201 Fan not automatically starting properly

Thank you for the response!
I am going to be cracking it open within the next few days so will see what I can find. I will agree that does sound like the possible issue. I will update, else be back for other ideas haha

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors