Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Philipp
Paper Tape
Views: 9,804
Message 1 of 12

X201 Fingerprint Sensor - Severe and Strange Problem

Hello

After three weeks of use (November 2010) the problem arised: My fingerprint sensor can't be found to register fingerprints despite it is installed (Hardware manager says it works properly).

I tried many things in order to solve the problem, even with new hardware but it doesn't help.

Configuration:

• Thinkpad X201, Windows 7 64bit
  • UPEK TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor (WBF advanced mode), driver version 1.4.0.253
  • BIOS version 1.31 (12 November 2010)
  • Think Vantage Fingerprint Software 5.9.3.6581 (error message if I want to register a fingerprint: E7210005 fingerprint sensor can't be found)

What I already did:

• Old and newl driver installation, BIOS update, old and new Fingerprint Software several times in different order
  • Try with UPEK Protector Suite Software (same problem, sensor can't be found)
  • Check in BIOS: Security Chip activated, Fingerprint enabled
  • UltraNav update (since the fingerprint sensor is connected to the motherboard via the same interface)
  • Contact with Lenovo Service Center, they assumed a hard ware malfunction and sended me a new keyboard front unit with touch pad and fingerprint sensor (I installed the new hard ware and did all the software stuff again, but still no effect)

The problem is really strange, what else could it be? Went something wrong in the registry? Communication problem of the USB interface? Problem inside Windows WBF?

Many thanks in advance for some hints!

Best regards, 

Philipp

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,751
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fingerprint Sensor - Severe and Strange Problem

does it show up in device manager under biometric device?  open the device in device manager and check the power settings.  unclick "allow windows to turn off this device to save power" 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Philipp
Paper Tape
Views: 9,747
Message 3 of 12

Yes, the the fingerprint sensor appears in the device manager, it says that it works properly, the driver is up to date and I unclicked the power save option turn off.

tvmaniac36
Serial Port
Views: 9,702
Message 4 of 12

happens to me too, I got it replaced. With the new one now the touchpad doesnt work (fingerprint works). They sent another palm rest and I havent tried it yet. Still on holiday :-) I will report here back after I replaced the palm rest.
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 9,693
Message 5 of 12

when you say it doesn't register finger scans, does it completely fail to respond when you pass your finger over the scanner, or it partially registers it.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
tvmaniac36
Serial Port
Views: 9,654
Message 6 of 12

I got the new palm rest. It works perfect. Suggest you asekd for a replacement.
Philipp
Paper Tape
Views: 9,581
Message 7 of 12

At the moment when I click on a certain "finger" in order to start the register process with Lenovo software, then the error messange comes "Fingerabdrucksensor kann nicht gefunden werden" (fingerprint sensor can't be found, E7210005 "Operation is not allowed by operating system policies."). The fingerprint sensor doesn't get active (no green LED).

There is a similar error if I use the Protector Suite software from UPEK: after I entered my windows password, it says that identification number of the interface doesn't correspond to the device. So the software can't connect to the sensor.

Yes, I replaced the palm part (the part infront of the keyboard with touchpad and fingerprint sensor) already, because the local Lenovo support thought about a hardware malfunction, but it still doesn't work.

I did many Google searches to this topic, one says that a new administrator account could register fingerprints, because the built-in administrator doesn't support Microsoft WBF. But it didn't help unfortunately. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7security/thread/05dc659a-3397-4e72-8fba-46832da667e0

Does anyone have some more ideas?

Philipp
Paper Tape
Views: 9,469
Message 8 of 12

Would it be the only way to get the fingerprint sensor working by installing Win7 all over again?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,460
Message 9 of 12

i assume you already did this, but you don't mention it.  in control panel, under biometric devices, change biometric settings, you do have biometric switched on, right?  and also, "allow users to log on using fingerprints".

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Philipp
Paper Tape
Views: 9,356
Message 10 of 12

Yes, of course I did that. Even there (control panel, biometric devices) it says that the fingerprint sensor is not available.

Any more hints?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors