Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P-51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,950
Message 1 of 5

X201 T410 Win XP Gobi 2000 Connection Software

Hi.

I've got a T410 and a X201 that are running Windows XP Pro with a Qualcomm Gobi 2000 adapter and wonder if there is any other software that can be used instead of Access Connections?

On other Thinkpads with the Ericsson F3507g I've been using Ericsson Wireless Manager instead of AC that I found to work better. Hopefully there are some other options for the Qualcomm Gobi 2000 as well. Any advice for other software than AC would be appreciated.

Retired Guru
Views: 4,909
Message 2 of 5

Re: X201 T410 Win XP Gobi 2000 Connection Software

You are right, access connections is a bit too US users oriented, they are just discovering the cellular connections, and they are not so used with apn and other related settings.

So I searched a bit and below there is what I discovered so far.

You can simply use the dialup connection, quick easy to configure and light, but you loose the signal strenght monitor,and and other advanced functions.

Alternatively I tried the mobile2go sw that comes with some Vaios it works pretty well, it manages the short messages, can be used to force the connection in 2g or in 3g and so on.

There's also the vanilla Qualcomm dashboard, it's clean and quick but is stuck to the USB ID of the specific manufacturers (acer, toshiba...) so a bit of tweaking to the included driver's inf is needed, or you get the messages "missing device".

If you are a vodafone customer you can also use the usual VMC, is full featured but is heavy as access connections.

Maybe there's also other options.

P-51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,876
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

What is the Qualcomm dashboard? I googled it but I'm not getting any useful hits.

Retired Guru
Views: 4,861
Message 4 of 5

it comes with some toshiba and acer notebooks, i don't remeber the models.

You have to search for the hsdpa equipped models from those companies and then you can download the drivers + the connection utility. from the related support sites.

That utility is somewhat customized to work with the specific boards, so you can't use with the lenovo drivers,  the driver itself wont recognize the lenovo card because the different ID. So the driver infs must be edited to detect the lenovo board.

Maybe somewere is available a vanilla qualcomm utility but I haven't found it, yet.

I found also a couple of ideapads with the gobi modem installed, but on the lenovo support site there's not a downloadable utility, just the drivers are present.

P-51
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,478
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

sorry for not posting back sooner with results.

I have tried many different solutions but ended up using Access Connections version 5.62. It turned out to be the least bad solution.

When installed with Hotkey Features I was able to run "TpFnF5.exe /alloff". That switch provided me with the functions I was looking for.  

Thank you The_Solutor for your input.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors