cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bugulu
What's DOS?
Views: 4,620
Message 1 of 5

X201 Wireless Card not detectable (Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN) (Windows 7 64 bit)

Hey!

I have a slight problem here.

We have 5 machines that got shipped with Windows 7 32 bit versions for two weeks ago, I tested all of them to make sure nothing was defect or such things but everything was fine (The wireless network card was clearly visible in device manager).

For two days ago, we recived recovery discs to upgrade these machines to 64 bit versions.

After installing it on 2 computers that was previously 32 bit versions, I am not able to detect the wireless network card anymore.

I have used System Update to try and find it but to no avail.

The card itself is not even detected by Device Manager (No unkown device or anything either, it have simply dissapeared).

I do know the card is present there so I downloaded two different drivers (1 from Lenovo homepage and another one from a driver update tool) (13.1.1.1 and 13.2.0.30).

I made a manual search and installed the drivers and the card itself by using "Add Legacy hardware" in device manager and picked the card.

It is now detectable in Device Manager but with following error code:

"The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).

I have tested both versions but same error code persists, System Update won't help either since it says that there are no new updates for this machine (same thing with Windows Update).

The card was functioning properly in 32 bit version but decided to crap out when upgrading to 64 bit, have there been frequent problems regarding wireless networking with 64 bit?

BrianA
Paper Tape
Views: 4,609
Message 2 of 5

Re: X201 Wireless Card not detectable (Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN) (Windows 7 64 bit)

We have the same problem with 6 new X201 machines preloaded with Win 7 32bit

After reloading the X201 with the Win 7 64bit recovery media the wireless network card disappears.

You learn to disassemble the laptop quickly to get to the CMOS battery because thats the olution I found

Disconnect the CMOS battery to reset BIOS settings completely and the network card appears in windows again.

Even when we tried the same recovery media on a T500 to test it, the same happened. The CMOS battery solution got the WLAN card working again.

I have reported this to Lenovo but havent heard from them yet.

RBS
What's DOS?
Views: 4,274
Message 3 of 5

Re: X201 Wireless Card not detectable (Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN) (Windows 7 64 bit)

I have exactly the same problem. I'll try the CMOS battery solution. I hope I don't void any warranty on the way.

RBS
What's DOS?
Views: 4,267
Message 4 of 5

Yay, it worked! Thanks.

This is what I did:

1. Download x201 Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) from Lenovo (use google)

2. Follow instructions in HMM on how to remove keyboard and palm rest (easy)

3. Disconnect the "Backup battery". It's not necessary to remove the battery itself.

coineanach
What's DOS?
Views: 440
Message 5 of 5

This worked for me after replacing the hard drive. Device manager recognized everything except for the wireless card.
Thank you so much for posting!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors