Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clahaye
Not applicable
Views: 2,451
Message 1 of 7

X201 random shutdown with new battery

Hi all, 

I use my X201 for 4 years now without any trouble. The original battery getting worned out, I replaced it with a 9Cell Duracell (Sanyo) one.

Since then and only when I use the new battery, AC unplugged, my laptop randomly shuts down with no warning. No overheating issue.

The Win7 logs point to powerfailure (Kernel Power at restart shows error 61)

Any clue about i)the reason for this bizarre behaviour ii)the cure

I would gladly purchase a new Lenovo battery if only I were sure to solve the problem ...

regards and thanks !

Christophe 

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 2,441
Message 2 of 7

Re: X201 random shutdown with new battery

Hi,

is the new battery Lenovo original? What's the part number?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

clahaye
Not applicable
Views: 2,432
Message 3 of 7

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. Here is the ID I have for this battery which is NOT an original LENOVO one.

power manager

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 2,401
Message 4 of 7

I'd give an advice to check the full charged battery output voltage. It should be 10.8v (look at the battery sticker to be clear). Unfortunately I can't say the numbers of battery connector pins.

Also if you have Lenovo Power Manager perform the battery reset.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

clahaye
Not applicable
Views: 2,385
Message 5 of 7

Hi again, 

Design voltage is 10.8, actual voltage vaires but is above 10.8 (>12V at 95%). It shows that none of the cells is down.

I'll perform a batt reset during the coming nignt as it blocks the PC for a couple of hours. I red on some comments that the battery chack may damage the charge capacity of the battery. I therefore refrained to run it as the battery was new. Instead I ran 3 complete charge/discharge cycles.

THanks for the help , abd have a nice WE

clahaye
Not applicable
Views: 2,358
Message 6 of 7

Hi all, 

I contacted the Community because my brand new Sanyo battery would suddunly and randomly switch off, causing of course my Thinkpad X201 to shut down.

Here is what I found : at the back uf the battery, there is a slide button to lock it after you insert it in the battery drawer.

On the 6cells battery, you just insert, yo hear a clic, and the battery is locked.

On the 9 cell battery (at least on the one I purchased) the sliding button has to be manually moved to the "Locked" position. If you don't move it, the PC starts normally, yet it suddenly stops after 10 or 30 or 50 min, just anytime.

Problem solved. I hope this can help !!! 

Christophe

(PS : I am not really proud having alerted the community on such a stupid detail ... apologies, and thanks to x220forMe who provided very relevant advices !)

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 2,349
Message 7 of 7

Hi, clahaye

nice to see your success!

Refering to the solution you've found the lock slider should be only mechanical device. Is there a chance one of the battery electrical contact wasn't reliable while the slider was open? I left the slider opened on my x220 many times w/o issues.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors