cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maniakman
What's DOS?
Views: 232
Message 1 of 2

X201s not properly going to sleep / hibernate / shutdown mode and instead gets piping hot

My 3.5 year old X201s that has been working like a charm has developed a nasty problem:

None of the "normal" methods to get the system to "turn off" seems to be working any longer. The OS (Win7Pro-32bit) does its normal thing during  sleep / hibernate / shutdown, the screen eventually goes blank but the system never goes into the appropriate powered down state. The area under the CPU becomes hot and the system is totally unresponsive to Fn button, mouse button, lid opening, power button press.

More specifically:

"Start->Shutdown" or single Power button press results in battery LED solidly lit, no "beep". Systemis  unresponsive to subsequent normal power on.

"Fn+F4 Sleep" or Close Lid  results in Battery and Moon LED solidly lit, single "beep". System is unresponsive to any subsequent normal wakeup attempts.

"Fn+F4 Hibernate" results in Battery and Power and LED solidly lit, moon blinking, no "beep". System is unresponsive to any subsequent normal wakeup attempts.

In all cases, I have to press and hold the power button for 5 sec (at which point all LEDs turn off as they should) to then be able to normally boot the system again. Upon booting, Windows does not complain of any improper shutdown and boots normally from scratch (sleep/shutdown scenario) and in the hibernate scenario, resumes properly.

I have the latest BIOS and Thinkvantage updates installed, have turned off Blutooth, disabled "always-on USB" , have also uninstalled Thinkvantage Power Manager but have not seen any change.

Reading some of the other threads on here about aging thermal paste and hot running CPUs, could this have fried some of my Power management circuitry?

Could an overheated

Any insight would be much appreciated!

maniakman
What's DOS?
Views: 200
Message 2 of 2

Re: X201s not properly going to sleep / hibernate / shutdown mode and instead gets piping hot

Some follow-up:

- I applied the Intel ME firmware update 6.1.32.1076, see

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-77175  

but this did not fix anything.

- Reinstalled latest Lenovo Power Manager and driver, - no luck.
- Recovered original factory image, - still the same ill-behavior.

Has anyone had experience with sending out of warranty laptops to Lenovo for repair (likely motherboard replacement)?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors