cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hmmm-
Paper Tape
Views: 563
Message 1 of 3

X201s started reaching high temperatures (122-149 Fahrenheit) when using minimal system resources

Hello, recently my two month old X201s started to get rather hot (50-65 Celsius) (122-149 Fahrenheit) when I am using minimal system resources and putting little of the CPU to use. So I purchased a cooling pad, which only occasionally works to keep the temperature down.

I could understand this happening if I were running something resource intensive such as a game as I am quite sure this should not be happening whilst running a word processor.

and before you suggest looking for blockages to the vents and exhaust I already have and they are all unobstructed.

the temperatures were checked using the program speed fan

I would appreciate some insight into this matter

Thank you 

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 528
Message 2 of 3

Re: X201s started reaching high temperatures (122-149 Fahrenheit) when using minimal system resource

since you got warranty remaining just send it in for repair, there is probably a need for some new thermal paste or that the heatsink heat pipe is leaking. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 515
Message 3 of 3

Re: X201s started reaching high temperatures (122-149 Fahrenheit) when using minimal system resource

Hello hmmm-,

please check if your cpu is running at full speed all the time.

You can use a free version of the program Everest to measure your CPU frequency.

Also check your power plan of the powermanager set it to balanced or set the switch in the middle.

kind regards.
Andreas

P.S. If this doesn´t help, act like lead_org already has suggested.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors