Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjdelc
What's DOS?
Views: 7,280
Message 1 of 13

X220 9 cell battery lasts 6 hours

I got this laptop a couple of months ago and since the first charge the battery has always lasted 5 to 6 hours. I was told by some people that the battery needed full charge/discharge cycles in order to achieve full capacity, but I am still getting 6h at most of the 9 cell battery opposed to 14h as advertised. I am running Linux, but I get the same duration in Windows. If I activate extreme performance on the Lenovo tool I can get up to 8h but effectively turning the laptop into half the machine I paid for. Are there any recommendations?
RichardW
802.11n
Views: 7,274
Message 2 of 13

Re: X220 9 cell battery lasts 6 hours

I'm disappointed too. I get about 4 hours on a 6 cell battery. It is possible to get long battery life but it requires extreme compromises.

orion9727
Token Ring
Views: 7,247
Message 3 of 13

battery life is very overated.
check a good review site they list the REAL run times.
6 hrs is a very good run time.
not many laptops manage over a 6 hr run time unless there single core atoms.
right now most all mobile cpu and screens are kinda maxed out around that time.
you could try a few tricks as lower the brightness,undervolt the cpu,use a ssd,turn off unwated things but most of that will add 30 mins mayby like i said this is near the limit right now and when you add flash playback into the mix battery time drops fast.
4 hrs is normal for a 6 cell.
i am sorry folks but this is it till we have new screens and new cpu.
2015 we should see all day laptops.
Guru
Views: 7,241
Message 4 of 13

You may want to see this thread for some potential fixes:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/621578-x220-9-cell-battery-life-sucking.html

Mostly, you want to check your Windows performance settings (not sure about Linux) to make sure Minimum CPU set to 0% to allow it to downclock when idle.

Furthermore, eliminate unnecessary disk access that may to be caused by certain programs. If that's not possible, streamline it by defragmenting your drive (I'm assuming you have a platter drive).

Also, avoid Chrome. It's a battery hog. IE9 is a great performer on battery power.

@orion9727,
It's definitely possible to manage over a 6 hour runtime on a laptop even with a quad-core (Sandy Bridge).

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
orion9727
Token Ring
Views: 7,237
Message 5 of 13

oneil has the right ideas but i laugh at more then hrs.
most reviews sites list the real world experences and with movies that is around 2.

sandys are great for all out power but problem is intel has not made a better run time sence 45nm on idle.
they kinda hit wall there.
they do run better when you load a sandy up they are more powerfull so they finish faster and go into idle quicker but as for less power they dont infact they can even make more heat then the older icores and core2 models.

what is needed now is thin film screens that will be a huge jump in battery life as screens are a big energy hog.
ivy bridge shower lower the idle bar and break away from the 45nm era pack that limits the 32nm in there idle use.
it also add a boost on the top end where sandy is king.
and poly batterys should become commen place meaning ultrabook like devices.
windows 8 should lower battery use as well but we talking mayby 8 hrs here most use.

note i said most use.
i think most of us use facebook and flash eats cpu and the web really is hard with all the flash ads eating into our run time.
i think if we want a real world run time we have to factor in some you tube and flash ads and what most people do.
i base run times on what most notebook review site do as well.

mayby colonel oneil has zero point module in his notebook but even my brazos is around 4-5 real world.
and i really do tweek the power setting up well and undervolt the cpu and limt processes to sub 35 and run a ssd.
braozos are alot lighter footprint then a sandy but sandys are better if you load them up they tend to have very close run times when cpu use is higher then normal but the real key is to not load up the cpu.
brazos run far to high voltage wise i think that would get alot better run time over sandys if they were better tweeked.
sandys can do with a tweek as well but intel dont leave as much headroom as AMD did.

sandy brigge is a great choice no doubt if you pick the right cpu model and and mayby lower it top end abit i set the max cpu to 85% on batt
Guru
Views: 7,236
Message 6 of 13

Erm. NotebookCheck's review of the W520 lists DVD playback as 5 hours 28 minutes.

I leave max CPU to 25% on battery as I really don't plan to do much with it on the go (taking notes, surfing the web, etc.).

If I had a ZPM, I'd be using it for more than powering my laptop. Smiley Tongue

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
motomandk
Punch Card
Views: 7,227
Message 7 of 13

Battery life all depends on the amount of power you use - IF you use a lot of CPU, a lot of graphics and a lot of harddisk ANY computer on ANY battery wont run more than a few hours.

The capacity of the battery divided by the used power is equal to the battery life.  Thats a fact.

When i use my X220 for normal office work; mail, word, excel, surfing and listening to music, i get 10-11 hours on my 9 cell battery - and that is fine.

BUT i have to select/make a proper power scheme for this purpose - like this:

Sorry that it is in danish, but i guess you get it anyway.

I will add, that i have a HP probook at work too, and with the same setting (in windows) i get only 3-4 hours on the battery (6 cell) - so i have to charge the battery several times every day.  With the X220 i can use it for a whole day - put it in the dock when i get home and is ready for a new 'cord-less' day again!

Moiderator note; removed anomaly that was causing a pw window to open

/Henrik - Denmark
X220 - i7-2620, 8GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I just LOVE my X220!) - and still after 6 years of service, running Win10 like a charm!
Guru
Views: 7,215
Message 8 of 13

Linux has been having some power issues for mobile hardware and you will probably get less battery life than in Windows, I suggest you see http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAxNDM to read up on some potential fixes. 

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
orion9727
Token Ring
Views: 7,120
Message 9 of 13

be nice it i remeber ZIE german from school.
but id remeebr the teacher thats for certin.
10 hrs lol yea mayby.
and mayby i might get a date with kim kash next week.
wish me luck on the wedding.

longer run times are posible with hiber and deep sleep but you have to wake them up all the time big pain and if no password then you show up as unsecure in windows.
as for better run time with a another os.
RUBBISH.
win 7 is the winner hands downs more so if you dont enable flash by default.
IE9 has a flash disable by the way people.

right now the offical word from ietl is haskill or whatever the name the cpu after ivybridge will have all day run times.
all day is 8 hrs in a 10-20 watt envolep.
thats 3 years from now guys.
i like realistic battery run times.
i know the 9 cell is big and bad and also sticks out the back alot but real times we have to be real here.

in a office you dont need battery when you have a plug.
battery mode is for airports,starbucks,bars or cafes.

not to metion running in bat mode alot will wear it down fast.
for some a laptop is something for around the living room.
run it in a dock with the proper run mode it only charge 50% FOR MAX BATTERY LIFE.

so expect to buy a new 9 cell soon.
again i know alot of tweeks trust me i had laptops for over 15 years so i am no noob and i know more tricks then one of those girls in the window in amsterdam....lol
but i never seen a laptop last all day even a netbook when you start to do what most people do and that is social site,watch some funny blonde girl fails oon utube and skype around.
i would say 5-6 is more real.
Novak921
Punch Card
Views: 7,062
Message 10 of 13

I have class from 9am to 5pm and use my X220 during that time for the whole time with my 9cell.   I usually surf the web, do some word editing, maybe watch a youtube video or two but that is the extent to how I use my X220.  Given that, I use the "Balanced" windows profile setting with my screen brightness on 3 and the CPU is set pretty low in the battery manager.

I usually get 8 hours with those options and occasionally have gotten up to 10 but 90% of the time I have an 8 hour battery life with my 9cell.   I currently have 7 hours left at 91% battery life. 

I'm happy to get 8 hours since you're right, some of the reviews I read claimed up to 12 hours so I've grown happy with 8 but 6 hours would be disappointing since other reviews claimed that the 6 cell did 9 hours haha.  Tweaking the power manager is probably you're best bet and see how that goes.

~Novak

X220~i5 2520M~8GB~Vertex2~IPS~Win7Prox64~ It's amazing.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors