Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suka_hiroaki
Paper Tape
Views: 16,671
Message 1 of 8

X220 - Can't change UEFI/BIOS settings anymore, locked out of update

Since a few weeks my X220 is not able to make any changes to the  UEFI/BIOS settings. When trying to do so either any changes get silently ignored or I get one of the following error message while trying to save. 

Security - Failed to save storage: Setup. Status: 0x9

Security - Failed to save storage: PwdStatusVar. Status: 0x9

Security - Failed to save storage: LocalSecurityVars. Status: 0x9

Didn't find anything on those errors here or on the web, unfortunately.

This is with UEFI 1.19, unfortunately this problem even prevents me from upgrading to the latest release (this is a linux-only system, so no Windows-tools, also I had UEFI-only enabled in the settings when this happened, so the Update-CD won't boot). Also I had some parts of the hardware disabled when this started to appear, so can't reenable them anymore, which is pretty bad as you might imagine.

Three notes:

*) there is one exception to not being able to save, I can successfully set (and remove) a supervisor password, but that's all

*) After the UEFI tries to save the settings there's a hang for 2-3 seconds, don't know if this is related.

*) The time from pressing the power button until the X220 reaches the boot loader is significantly longer since this effect showed up

Anyone got a clue what these errors are actually about? I thought about pulling the BIOS/UEFI battery and trying to force a reset of the settings that way. Is this safe or a bad idea?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 16,648
Message 2 of 8

Re: X220 - Can't change UEFI/BIOS settings anymore, locked out of update

Are you able to press F9 to load default settings and then F10 to save and exit?  Or does this result in the same errors?

suka_hiroaki
Paper Tape
Views: 16,643
Message 3 of 8

Same error, unfortunately, all tried multiple times... Smiley Sad

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 16,639
Message 4 of 8

I think you should call the support team in your country and request service:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-4HWSE3

Otherwise, if you're comfortable removing the keyboard and palmrest, you could try to disconnect and reconnect the CMOS battery.  But there's no guarantee that this will solve the problem, which I why I think the better idea is to call the support team.

suka_hiroaki
Paper Tape
Views: 16,634
Message 5 of 8

Yeah, hoped I could avoid that. My hope of getting a quick resolution with that sort of specific setup and a problem that isn't documented anywhere at all (and error messages that are not found in hardware maintenance manual) are pretty low :-/

suka_hiroaki
Paper Tape
Views: 16,600
Message 6 of 8

I finally managed to solve the problem myself, for further reference, here's how I did it.

*) Opened up the X220 and pulled the BIOS battery

*) After that (most) BIOS settings are reseted, at the first boot you get the (expected) BIOS checksum error but this goes away after the first settings save

*) Unfortunately in my case some settings were still not working - even after this procedure - especially all the security related stuff.

*) But I could change the boot options back to "Both" instead of "UEFI only", which allowed me to install the latest UEFI udpate (1.21)

*) After that everything's working fine now, settings apply again, boot is waaaay faster

Another note: The bug also broke suspending (actually resuming) for me, this is fixed now too :-)

tuXXer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,502
Message 7 of 8

Hi suka_hiroaki,

I get the same error with my W520 laptop (4284-4DG).

On Christmas my laptop didn't start. My laptop was repaired and my motherboard was changed. After that my touchpad and fingerprint reader didn't work. I'd deactivated some devices to look if all works again. I forgot to re-activate some devices.

Today a Lenovo technician connected the palmrest again, so touchpad and fingerprint reader works again.

But I can't re-activate devices, TPM chip and s. o.

I'm getting the messages:

Security - Failed to save storage: Setup. Status: 0x9
Security - Failed to save storage: LenovoSecurityConfig. Status: 0x9

I didn't want that my laptop didn't start again - therefore I didn't pull the battery by now...

f9 and save didn't work. Option Both is active. But there is no higher BIOS available.

punchinello
Token Ring
Views: 14,914
Message 8 of 8

Since this is the thread which comes nearest to my own problem I try to find help here.

I recently exchanged my stock 320GB HDD to a SAMSUNG 830 SSD with 256GB. Now today I tried to access my BIOS via pressing F1 on boot which work fine so far. But as I browsed through the BIOS settings I discovered that I'm not able to make any changes to any of those settings.

I figured this had something to do with changing the hard disk, since I set up an hard disk password in bios and after switching disk the hard disk password check was gone. So I tried replacing the new hard disk with the original one. But still I was not able to access any BIOS option (including Restoring Defaults or pressing F9).

So now I tried removing the CMOS battery but all that did, was giving me an time/date error and my power-on password gone. Entering the BIOS setup and trying to Save/Exit (F10) didn't change a thing, so I booted Windows and set the date and time there. So the date/time error was gone but still no access to any BIOS settings. That leaves my power-on password gone.

Has anybody any idea what I'm able to do without calling the support?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Specs in signature.

Lenovo X220 (Model: 4290-G51) | Intel Core i7 2460M | Intel HD 3000 | 2 x 8 GB CORSAIR DDR3-1333 RAM | 256GB SAMSUNG 840 Basic SSD | 9-Cell orig. Lenovo Battery 29++ (FRU: 42T4942, LGC) | BIOS V1.29 | Power Manager V6.65.1 | Power Management Driver V1.67.04.05 | Windows 7 Professional 64Bit (up-to-date)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors