Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patjonstevenson
What's DOS?
Views: 233
Message 1 of 2

X220 DC in replacement

Hello.

I took apart my X220 but forgot to put the DC jack back in. I couldn't find it anywhere (very likely due to cats), so I ordered a new one off of amazon (this one).

The new one only came with the jack and cord, but not the little metal plate (also lost) that holds it in place. After I put that in the computer, I plugged it in, but I saw some sparks and quickly pulled it out.

So, I'm thinking the part was probably bad, but I figured I'd inquire about another possibility that occurred to me:

Does the metal plate do any grounding? Or is it just there to secure the part in place?

I'm about to order this one from ebay. This time I looked up the part number and it's a match. I just wanted to make sure that it will be safe to install without the metal plate.

Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 207
Message 2 of 2

Re: X220 DC in replacement

The plate just holds the jack in place, but my guess is that without the plate, the jack moved and the hot contact hit the frame,  It may be OK, but you might find that you blew a fuse

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors