US

3 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 2

X220 DC in replacement

2018-01-07, 3:10 AM

Hello.

I took apart my X220 but forgot to put the DC jack back in. I couldn't find it anywhere (very likely due to cats), so I ordered a new one off of amazon (this one).

The new one only came with the jack and cord, but not the little metal plate (also lost) that holds it in place. After I put that in the computer, I plugged it in, but I saw some sparks and quickly pulled it out.

So, I'm thinking the part was probably bad, but I figured I'd inquire about another possibility that occurred to me:

Does the metal plate do any grounding? Or is it just there to secure the part in place?

I'm about to order this one from ebay. This time I looked up the part number and it's a match. I just wanted to make sure that it will be safe to install without the metal plate.

Thank you.

Options

11283 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39724 Signins

415433 Page Views

• Views: 415433
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: X220 DC in replacement

2018-01-07, 6:24 AM

The plate just holds the jack in place, but my guess is that without the plate, the jack moved and the hot contact hit the frame,  It may be OK, but you might find that you blew a fuse

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete