Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

07-30-2008

NJ, USA

16 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 41 of 158

Re: X220 IPS display problem - weird bright spot on the screen

2012-06-14, 1:05 AM

So, Here is the latest. Lenovo is so far ignoring the problem and blaming us (we the customers) are the problems.

I sent back the laptop for repair about the bright spots (2 at lower left and 2 at lower right side), they emailed me back and said those were pressure points that the keyboard was touching the screen. 

I called them and explained that my laptop was sitting on my desk most of the time, I didn't put it in my bag at all.

Spoke to 3 techs, 2 supervisors, they all said I damaged the screen and wanted me to pay $750.

One lady tech was even so rude and kept telling me "The screen is not under warranty, is there any thing else I can help you?"

I said I want to talk to the supervisor, and she just said "No, He is busy now, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN HELP YOU?" 

I said "I need my screen fixed", and she said again "No, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN HELP YOU?" 

I said "Why are you so rude?", and she said "No, I am fine, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN HELP YOU?" 

Mod edit: Removed comments that were against Forum Rules.  Please review the rules on posting.

Options

1 Posts

06-14-2012

rhode island

1 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 42 of 158

2012-06-14, 1:22 AM

Here's my issue. My X220 made last year had the old P/N screen (IPS) on it. I had bad ghosting and four white spots (bright spots actually) that were scattered all over the screen. I have on-site for three years on the machine and I called tech support last week. The sent a tech who installed the wrong screen; a non-IPS display. I did not know this until I got home from work and to my horror saw the horrible screen. 

Anyhow, the next day a rep came out with a brand new IPS screen (FRU P/N 04W3462) and it's beautiful! No more ghosting or white spots at all. It's flawless. I think it helps A LOT to have the on-site warranty. It's so worth it to even pay the extra $30 it is for the first year. 

Options

14 Posts

06-01-2012

Germany

16 Signins

207 Page Views

• Views: 207
  • Message 43 of 158

2012-06-14, 1:32 AM
I know what you are talking about @tatyau

Pretty much the same happened to me with my old x300. had a display crack that just appeared out of nowhere. They wanted to charge me some 800$ or so - I tried to convince them that it wasn't my fault but finally I gave up and had it repaired on my own.

I very much agree with ex0dus regarding onsite warranty benefits. I managed to get the 3YR onsite upgrade for 35$ (through the Lenovo education program) so I am waiting for it to be activated and then Im gonna go ahead and create a service request to replace my IPS screen due to ghosting, bright spots and dead pixels. Let's see how that goes - I'll report back
Options

48 Posts

04-23-2012

South Dakota

288 Signins

3786 Page Views

• Views: 3786
  • Message 44 of 158

2012-06-14, 14:48 PM

wrote:

So, Here is the latest. Lenovo is so far ignoring the problem and blaming us (we the customers) are the problems.

I sent back the laptop for repair about the bright spots (2 at lower left and 2 at lower right side), they emailed me back and said those were pressure points that the keyboard was touching the screen. 

Really?   Keys touching the screen sounds like a design flaw to me . I had this issue  on my Edge POS, noticed early on that I was getting key imprints on my screen, I will be quite upset if my keys hit my screen on my new X220, and if this is something that could actually cause damage.   Never had that problem on any other ThinkPad.

--- ThinkPad T61 / Win 7 / Core 2 / 4gb RAM / Nvidia / Still used daily --- ThinkPad Edge 15/ i5 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / 8gb RAM / Hated it, died at 1 yr 1 mo old --- ThinkPad T510 / Win 7 / TrueCrypt / i5 / 8gb RAM / Nvidia / Current primary machine --- ThinkPad X220 / i7 / IPS / 4gb / TrueCrypt / My Road Machine
Options

81 Posts

07-22-2011

Canada

93 Signins

753 Page Views

• Views: 753
  • Message 45 of 158

2012-06-14, 23:00 PM

This thinkpad is is nothing like the previous thinkpad. I got mine shipped to them. I hope they will fix it all. I will let you know when I get it back :)

ThinkPad X220, I7 2620M, 8GB RAM, Intel 320 160GB SSD, IPS screen, USB 3.0, Bluethoot, Cam, Win 7 pro 64, BIOS: 1.17, Model: 4286-CTO, Fabrication date: 07/11
Options

5 Posts

06-15-2012

Canada

3 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 46 of 158

2012-06-15, 1:35 AM

I see these exact same white spots on my IPS display. I can't even begin complaining about them since my X220 is annoying enough by never resuming from sleep. One annoyance at a time, I guess. :(

Options

33 Posts

08-19-2011

Canada

32 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 47 of 158

2012-06-18, 10:43 AM

I HAD THE SAME ISSUE !!!!!

Along with the Light bleeds on the bottom...

Lenovo replaced the screen....

ISSUES ARE STILL THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

INFACT IT'S WORSE NOW !!!!!!!

Options

33 Posts

08-19-2011

Canada

32 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 48 of 158

Replaced Screen, even MORE issues now....

2012-06-18, 10:51 AM

Originally I had 1 issue. Light bleed. Then a  "bright spot" appeared as many people are reporting.

I sent it in and they replaced the LCD. 

NOW IT'S WORSE !!!!

There is another white spot and it's closer to the top middle. Worse since the old screen had the spot to the right.

The light bleed is even worse. It is leaking from many places....

My warranty expires in 57 days.........Someone please tell me what to do here......

This screen is UTTER  S H @ T.... I thought I had paid a $1000 for a "professional grade" laptop with a "PREMIUM HD" IPS display.

Instead what I get is:

- GPU throttle issues for months. 

- Light bleeding

- Bright spots

- Weird flexing on the left side, cheap construction.

Seems like most the x220 IPS have issues. (>70% according to the polls on notebook review for just the light bleed itself)

Lenovo won't admit it. These IPS displays on the x220s are trash. They need to do a total recall (but of course they will not, they loose too much $$$$)

Options

23 Posts

04-19-2012

Estonia

30 Signins

461 Page Views

• Views: 461
  • Message 49 of 158

Re: Replaced Screen, even MORE issues now....

2012-06-18, 13:34 PM
I sent it in and they replaced the LCD. 

There is another white spot and it's closer to the top middle. Worse since the old screen had the spot to the right.

So Lenovo replaced your defective IPS screen with another defective, with same white spots problem?

Wonder if Lenovo calls this too "an user induced unacceptable pressure"?

My warranty expires in 57 days.........Someone please tell me what to do here......

As it seems from another people - official complaint is an only way to escalate problem solving. Too sad, but Lenovo won't stay behind their products anymore, at least in a way people expected from Thinkpad business class laptops since IBM era.

> I thought I had paid a $1000 for a "professional grade" laptop with a "PREMIUM HD" IPS display.

So far it seems that only IPS screens are suffering white dots and ghosting problems.

They need to do a total recall (but of course they will not, they loose too much $$$$)

I asked month ago ( http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-IPS-display-problem-weird-bright-spot-on-the-screen/m-p/746831#M38241 ) and hoped too at least some reacting from Lenovo side. Doesn't seem very promising. :smileysad:

Btw, googling for 'lcd mura' or 'lcd clouding' gives a lot results, which appear very similar to "backlight bleeding" and "bright white dots" problem with IPS screens. Community assumption is that those are manufacturing issues, especially on cheap panels.

Options

14 Posts

06-01-2012

Germany

16 Signins

207 Page Views

• Views: 207
  • Message 50 of 158

2012-06-21, 8:07 AM

I entered a service request in ESC indicating ghosting (I didn't mention the bright spots specifically) and the technician showed up this morning and replaced the panel - no questions asked. Didn't even care what the issue was. :smileyhappy:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)