Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aquaholik
Punch Card
Views: 4,380
Message 1 of 8

X220 Sandy Bridge i7, Samsung 840 SSD, startup time

I recently upgraded my 18 months old X220 Sandy Bridge i7 and replaced, the wifi card, added 4 more GB, and replaced the 320gb HDD with the Samsung 840(non pro) 512 GB SSD.

I  replace the HDD with SSD, and clean install windows 8 on the SSD and install Thinkvantage to update device drivers.

My Bios POST time is 5-6 secs after hitting power until the Thinkpad logo appears and disappear. After that, it take another 3 secs for the blue Windows 8 logo and another 6 secs until I am automatically log in(I set it up that way to test). So total time is roughly 15-16 secs. Of course this is after a hybrid shut down, not after a restart when Windows 8 really shut down the computer.

That is fantastic bootup time and now I use my laptop more than my tablet solely because I no longer have to wait for those 2 minutes bootup time just to browse the internet. Now this is fine except I am getting a little jealous of this guy's boot up time:

https://vimeo.com/47759337

His is roughly 10 secs. And he is running an i3 and not really a clean install. He mentioned UEFI mode. Every time I go into the bios to set boot to UEFI and not both or legacy, I get a blue screen at boot up time asking me to select my Samsung SSD. The problem is, I select it and nothing happens. The screen stays there displaying the same thing. So I have to power off and change the UEFI mode to legacy or both in order for windows 8 to booth. Is that how it is supposed to work?

Looking at his boot time video, we have the same BIOS POST time of 5-6 secs. Now his goes into the Windows 8 blue logo a secs later while mine takes another 3-4 sec. His then boot into Windows 8 splash screen in a mere 4 secs while mine takes 6-7 secs. I do not have anything in my startup folder and I ran msconfig and see nothing that really slows down the startup time.

I know I am splitting hair here and feel free to ridicule away because 16 secs boot time is plenty fast. I just want to know what you guys that have SSD and windows 8 have done to speed up boot time.

I have a U310 with HDD+mSATA SSD running stock windows 7 and I was shocked that it was able to boot windows 7 in roughly 25 secs considering that windows 7 is installed on the HDD. The U310 BIOS POST time is only 1-2 secs compare to the x220 5-6 secs.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,351
Message 2 of 8

Re: X220 Sandy Bridge i7, Samsung 840 SSD, startup time

Hello,

I believe that when you select UEFI for your firmware, instead of BIOS, it appears with different hardware characteristics to the operating system.

Have you tried updating the BIOS to the latest version, enabling UEFI and then reinstalling Microsoft Windows 8 so it detects the hardware correctly?  If so, does that provide a faster boot time?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

aquaholik
Punch Card
Views: 4,321
Message 3 of 8

The BIOS was updated prior to removing the HDD and replacing it with SSD. Unfortunately, when I installed windows 8, I was not sure what the setting I had in the BIOS. I think it was set to both even though I booted from a windows 8 USB memory stick and install windows 8 from there. I am not quite clear on UEFI and whether it makes a difference when installing windows 8.

I would install windows 8 again this time with the BIOS set to UEFI but I had to call microsoft support last time since I had trouble activating since it was a clean install. I don't want to go thru that again and 16 secs is plenty fast enough. I just want to see how many people with UEFI setting only in BIOS has got a 10 secs bootup time using windows 8 clean install on SSD drive.

EDIT: I did some more research. I would have to create a bootable Windows 8 UEFI USB Stick first and then reformat my SSD as GPT and then install windows 8. I didn't know there was a difference but now I know. I might try it later when I have time.

kent1968
Token Ring
Views: 4,300
Message 4 of 8

I did what you were trying to do.  You have to have UEFI set to UEFI only, not UEFI/Legacy mode.  And you have to have those setting established before you install the OS.  Once BIOS is updated it is only the settings that matter.

I did a W8 clean install to a new Samsung SSD (256 840 Pro) using W8 64. Did a lot of research on it before I tried so I changed BIOS settings to UEFI first, UEFI only, then booted to W8 CD next. W8 automatically formatted my SSD for GPT/UEFI.  There is a link on Lenovo describing how to do this by Lenovo staff. 

As for boot times . . . looking at the video you linked too, mine is not that fast.  That dude sure has a curvy finger.  Anyway, I have a i7 too with 8GB ram.  Mine is closer to yours in terms of boot time.

Not sure on the story with this guy's system but he said he did not install Lenovo software on his machine.  In my experience, the Lenovo apps can add a few seconds.  I tend to think his example is more the exception than the rule and probably won't be that fast over time.

But as you say, I am pretty happy with 12-15 seconds to get to the W8 screen.  I added SSD encryption too using the 840 Pro so that gets checked everytime my system boots which costs me a little time.   For example I use the fingerprint software to log in to my PC (Lenovo software).  I bet if I stripped out the Lenovo software (which I find useful) we could do this too.  Notice too that he did not have to enter a password either so he has streamlined the flash to bang time about as quickly as he can.  

kent

aquaholik
Punch Card
Views: 4,295
Message 5 of 8

Yes, apparantly, I did not do my research when doing a clean install on a brand new SSD. So my SSD was not formatted as GPT(no MBR) and my bios was not set to UEFI only. Plus I had to create a windows 8 UEFI install disk on a fat32 formatted memory stick. I don't have a lot loaded on my SSD right now and it'll probably take an hour to do all the preparation and do a UEFI install but since you mention you are not getting the 10 secs, I doubt it'll be worth trying. I have mine set to bypass the password too just to see how fast and 16 secs was about the fastest.

I only have TSVU installed and Intel WiFi and Widi in the startup when I ran msconfig.exe. Surprisingly, the wifi is ready to go as soon as classic shell starts. It takes a second or two from a cold boot to connect but if I shut it down and then reboot, wifi connects right away. Right now from power up to a working Internet Explorer, it takes 22 secs since classic shell has to bypass the metro interface and I have to mouse the pointing stick over to IE and start it.

I still don't use the metro interface or app and the only reason I install windows 8 was to get fast boot time but now that I've seen how fast windows 7 start on a stock U310(only 22-25 secs even though OS is installed on HDD) that I got for real cheap($300), I am starting to think that you can get lightning fast windows 7 on UEFI SSD install also.

I forgot how fast 20 secs really is. With the old 320 GB 5400 HDD, it was at least 2 minutes before IE would start and find a web page.

aquaholik
Punch Card
Views: 4,236
Message 6 of 8

I created a UEFI bootable USB stick. Actually the original one can boot under UEFI also. Delete all partitions and reinstall while setting boot option to UEFI only. It did format the SSD as GPT. I verified it with diskpart after it finished installing.

After installing windows update, boot time was 13.6 secs until metro splash screen. I set it to bypass password to duplicate what the guy did in the video. I think I shaved 3 secs of boot time. After installing TVSU and installing the ultranav(TSVU did not install that nor the Coxenant audio driver), I went ahead and install the intel wireless pro chipset and went to intel site to download and install the latest WiDi software.

After all is said and done, my boot time is 15-16 secs. I think I shaved a whole second from the BIOS Windows 8 install after I installed back everything as it was. Not worth it at all but a good learning experience.

What is funny is that I logged on this site and IE automatically filled in my password after I enter the username which it also suggest correctly. How could that be when I wiped the old installation clean by deleting all the partition. This is the very first time I logged in to this site after a wipe and clean install. This tells me that Microsoft is tracking me using my windows login and IE. Let me try logging in another site and see if it knows my password.

I tried slickdeals, it remembers my password as if I upgraded my install. It also knows my browsing history since it list speedtest and I have not been on speedtest.net since wiping the last install. So yes, it is definitely tracking me via the login and relaying that to IE. Heck, all my bookmarks showed up to. It's acting like Google and Chrome.

Scary since this is a clean installation not a reinstall over the old one. Old one was BIOS install, new one is verified UEFI and GPT.

I installed classicshell and made it skip the metro screen. From pressing the power button to a working IE is now 19 secs. I guess it is about 3 secs faster than BIOS install. It was about 22 secs before if I remembered correctly.

kent1968
Token Ring
Views: 4,230
Message 7 of 8

I had the exact same experience - totally formatted SSD to do a reinstall of W8 and somehow I kept loading W8 only to find all my bookmarks and some setting (time/date formats) there on what I thought was a totally clean install.  After a little research (and paying attention to the W8 personalization screen options) I did see that if you log into your W8 account when installing W8 AND have synch set to synch settings in your Windows account, then Microsoft will synch with your computer.  Microsoft touts one of its Microsoft account benefits is that you can "synch across computers." 

So yes Microsoft does retain some of your info if you set the system to synch.  Did not realize passwords were retained as I use Password Manager. 

These settings can be turned off.  To check, on one install I created a local user account and none of the stuff was imported.  I bet a lot of people come to this realization as we did.

aquaholik
Punch Card
Views: 4,227
Message 8 of 8

Actually I don't mind it. I am so used to Android and Google following me around. This is just Microsoft acting like Google. All my bookmark and cookies magically reappeared under IE. I should have know when the homepage did not change. Like most of us, we sacrifice privacy for convenience. Let's hope I don't regret in one day.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors