08-22-2011

OH, USA

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 2

X220 Trackpad - What can we do?

2011-08-22, 15:04 PM

There are many reports of the trackpad not being up to snuff on the X220, mine included. I just received my X220 a week ago, and have had a horrible experience with the trackpad. I also own a T61 and a T510, so I have some kind of reference regarding previous Ultranavs. My main laptop has been a unibody MacBook Pro, so I must admit I have been spoiled by the nice trackpad on it. I've never been a fan of the TrackPoint (I know, I know!), preferring to use the touchpads. The X220 appealed to me because of its specs and size moreso than a similar specced MBP.

The T61 has a decent touchpad, even if it is small. It works nicely, scrolls decently, and just works. Same with the T510, works well, good size, maybe a bit jumpy (but nothing that can't be adjusted). The X220, on the other hand, is jumpy, sometimes too sensitive or unresponsive, the clickpad is a disaster, and scrolling is a mess. I've gone through several solutions and I'm going to call Lenovo next and see if maybe I have a bad trackpad that needs replacing.

What I've done:

1) Used up-to-date drivers from System Update 4, for both UltraNav utility and Synaptics pad

2) Uninstalled all UltraNav drivers and used the generic Synaptics drivers from their website.

3) Used the stock drivers from Windows Update

4) Wiped/restored from recovery partition (twice already!)

All these things have been inconclusive and I still have issues. What have others done to alleviate this problem? Do I have a bad trackpad that needs replacement?

And finally, is Lenovo doing something about the poor trackpad performance? I want to like this machine, but the trackpad is a huge deal for me. I want to believe.

Options

3 Posts

08-17-2011

Europe

7 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: X220 Trackpad - What can we do?

2011-08-22, 20:14 PM

I am in the same position, unfortunately mine is a company laptop so a bit more difficult to get it all sorted out. If it was my private one I would have it already sent it back (not that I would privately every by a Lenovo!).

I was a couple of times close to throwing it out of the window today, there is no way of doing proper work (drag and drop etc). with this )$£)%£ trackpad!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms