Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

55 Posts

05-24-2011

New York City

342 Signins

1403 Page Views

• Views: 1403
  • Message 111 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-06-01, 12:25 PM

wrote:
mellospace, thanks for the testing. I tried your strategy of waiting until the first instance of perma-throttle, then unplugging and replugging the AC adapter to "reset" the clock. Sadly, even though the replugging of the AC adapter "resets" the throttling, it comes straight back to 800mhz when I run OCCT/play games as previously described.

You're lucky your "quick fix" works for you, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

Thanks again anyway.

Petrov.

Yes, thats how its getting fixed on my machine. I tried the test again before heading to work this morning and the same thing happened again. Ran occt and this time it actually took 10min to get the perma throttle. Then I unplug and plug back the ac adapter, ran occt for 20min and no throttle, added prime95 for about 5min and throttled to stock 2700 again. After I stop prime, goes back to normal.

I thought it was that way for everyone, now I'm scared to update the bios. I already updated the lenovo power manager and that didnt make a difference.

Today I might decide to open the i5 (2520m) one and perform the same test on that laptop. What do you think? Or should I just keep this one with the i7. Also, do you think I should perform the bios update, I mean it fixes some other issues, but dont know if by taking a chance I might get the throttle even after the plug/replug. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Options

46 Posts

05-21-2011

UK

936 Signins

865 Page Views

• Views: 865
  • Message 112 of 727

2011-06-01, 12:27 PM

I personally doubt it's bios related mello, probably something more perculiar about the power system or combo of parts that makes one system behave slightly differently from another - but I'm guessing!

I think it's worth updating the bios, as there will be many bios updates over time (particularly early in a product's lifecycle), so there's not much point in not updating the bios. If it makes the throttling like mine, well better you know now so you can either return the system or get it repaired (if a fix is forthcoming). That's what I'd do, anyway.

Petrov.

Options

55 Posts

05-24-2011

New York City

342 Signins

1403 Page Views

• Message 113 of 727

2011-06-01, 13:09 PM

wrote:

I personally doubt it's bios related mello, probably something more perculiar about the power system or combo of parts that makes one system behave slightly differently from another - but I'm guessing!

I think it's worth updating the bios, as there will be many bios updates over time (particularly early in a product's lifecycle), so there's not much point in not updating the bios. If it makes the throttling like mine, well better you know now so you can either return the system or get it repaired (if a fix is forthcoming). That's what I'd do, anyway.

Petrov.

You're right. Thanks.
Options

55 Posts

05-24-2011

New York City

342 Signins

1403 Page Views

• Message 114 of 727

2011-06-01, 16:19 PM

Here are the screenshots of my last testing (the one I performed this morning) for you to take a look in case there is anything unusual I missed.

1st Screenshot – 1st test after starting up the machine – no throttling for the first 10min of running the occt gpu test. Only occasional down to 797mhz and then up again, its like the processor is fighting trying to keep it up.
http://i53.tinypic.com/2dha74l.jpg 

2nd Screenshot – got the perma throttle after the 10min mark (last night I got the perma throttle once at the 4min mark, next 2 times at around the 6min mark – again only on the 1st time testing after restart/shudown). At this time I unplugged and plugged back the ac adapter and got it back to normal speed.
http://i56.tinypic.com/33oimhf.jpg

3rd Screenshot – Ran occt gpu test again, running occt for 20min and no throttling issues (not even the occasional throttling to 800mhz that happened during the first 10min of the 1st test before getting the perma throttle)
http://i51.tinypic.com/2qw1kiu.jpg

4th Screenshot – After running occt for 20min, added prime95 torture test, now it throttled to stock 2700 and gpu between 950-1050 clock speed. Ran prime95 for about 5min and only throttled to stock speed with both occt and prime95 running at the same time.  
http://i54.tinypic.com/16i1dc.jpg

This is what’s happening to my machine. After it gets the perma throttle and I unplug/plug back the ac adapter, I get no more throttling on the next gpu/cpu stress tests unless I restart/shutdown the computer. Also, once I hibernated the machine, and still got the perma throttle during the 1st test again.

By the way, before doing the unplug/replug I noticed I have always stopped all tests and then start it again after. I only leave hwinfo running to see that it goes back to normal speed again which always happens. Just mentioning this so anyone trying the same tests as I am do it the same way. I also leave occt open, just not running the test at the time of unplug/replug.
Options

17 Posts

05-13-2011

United States

229 Signins

448 Page Views

• Views: 448
  • Message 115 of 727

2011-06-01, 16:23 PM
mellospace, what if you throttle, replug to remove the throttle, then sleep and retest? does it throttle again after waking up, or does it continue to function normally?
Options

55 Posts

05-24-2011

New York City

342 Signins

1403 Page Views

• Message 116 of 727

2011-06-01, 16:31 PM

wrote:
mellospace, what if you throttle, replug to remove the throttle, then sleep and retest? does it throttle again after waking up, or does it continue to function normally?
:

I can try that later today when I get home after 6pm and see what happens.
Options

99 Posts

05-13-2011

Denmark

753 Signins

2232 Page Views

• Views: 2232
  • Message 117 of 727

2011-06-01, 17:47 PM

I have tried to follow all 12 pages of this thread - and lost track of the problem at some point.

I have a X220 with i7 and 320Gb HD ...... and i simply love it, the weight, 10-13 hours on the battery and the performance.  I am using it for office use, movies, graphics work, photoshop and so on.

And i have never encountered any performance issues - due to this thread i downloaded cpu-z and hwinfo32 and have had them running on the other screen most of the time.  When ever the system is idle, the clock goes down to about 800Mhz and when ever i need processor power, it immediately reaches 3.4Ghz.

But i dont use any 'torture-programs' to push the limits of .... what ever.  I just use it for what it is designed for - normal everyday use.

It is a shame that this thread keep anyone away from bying this wonderfull piece of art!  Just my .02 .........

/Henrik - Denmark

(and NO i dont have any commercial interest in Lenovo, nor am i employed in that company ..... but i am an IT person for more than 30 years now!)

/Henrik - Denmark
X220 - i7-2620, 8GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I just LOVE my X220!) - and still after 6 years of service, running Win10 like a charm!
Options

46 Posts

05-21-2011

UK

936 Signins

865 Page Views

• Views: 865
  • Message 118 of 727

2011-06-01, 18:27 PM

motomandk, I'm very happy you enjoy your product, that's brilliant. Personally, I consider playing the odd non-graphically intensive game (such as Dragon Age Origins or Civ 5) on the x220 very much "normal every day use" - but sadly, those induce the perma throttling issue that has been discussed on this thread.  For many of us, you don't have to "stress" your x220 (i7) to induce the issue.

But if you're happy with your product, I wouldn't lose sleep over it just because of what some malcontents (like us) discuss on the interwebs - it'll drive you crazy.

Sleep tight!

Petrov.

Options

55 Posts

05-24-2011

New York City

342 Signins

1403 Page Views

• Message 119 of 727

2011-06-01, 18:28 PM

wrote:

I have tried to follow all 12 pages of this thread - and lost track of the problem atsome point.

I have a X220 with i7 and 320Gb HD ...... and i simply love it, the weight, 10-13 hours on the battery and the performance.  I am using it for office use, movies, graphics work, photoshop and so on.

And i have never encountered any performance issues - due to this thread i downloaded cpu-z and hwinfo32 and have had them running on the other screen most of the time.  When ever the system is idle, the clock goes down to about 800Mhz and when ever i need processor power, it immediately reaches 3.4Ghz.

But i dont use any 'torture-programs' to push the limits of .... what ever.  I just use it for what it is designed for - normal everyday use.

It is a shame that this thread keep anyone away from bying this wonderfull piece of art!  Just my .02 .........

/Henrik - Denmark

(and NO i dont have any commercial interest in Lenovo, nor am i employed in that company ..... but i am an IT person for more than 30 years now!)

You might be right, but still the problem shouldnt exist not even in extreme cpu test after the test is stopped or even in some casual game playing as some have reported. One question, what are your settings on power manager for both ac and battery? I thought that when you choose optimized and on battery you have balanced performance that the cpu wont use turbo boost. Am I wrong? What is the best setting for battery saving and to get to 3.4ghz at the same time. On balanced setting, can the cpu get to 3.4ghz if needed or only on turbo or max turbo setting. I need to learn more about the power settings. I believe that when on maximun performance maximun turbo setting, even at idle, the cpu will be running at 3.2ghz and over and on optimized balanced setting, it will be at 800mhz when idle and reach 2700mhz when needed. Or will it hit 3.4ghz if needed? Someone correct me if Im wrong. Thanks.

Options

56 Posts

05-12-2011

USA

68 Signins

402 Page Views

• Views: 402
  • Message 120 of 727

2011-06-01, 19:29 PM

Yeah, after looking at mellowspace's testing, I think its becoming clearer that there are 2 issues here:

1. The machine acts funny with the 65watt adapter.

2. These chips seem to distribute the total 35watts accross the IA and GT cores in "non-even" way.  If you stress both your cpu and gpu to your max, it is going to favor putting more of the available power into your IA cores.  IF you're running OCCT-gpu, or furmark, its gonna take the extra power it has available from the IA cores, so that the GT cores an run at 1300mhz.

I would like to see the total power package run closer to 42watts, which is what the machine will allow for short periods of time if the heatsink and fan assembly can handle it.  However, i'm beginning to think that this may not be the case, the fan-heatsink assembly really do bottom out at 35watts TDP.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms