Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

07-07-2011

Oslo

28 Signins

202 Page Views

  • Posts: 23
  • Registered: ‎07-07-2011
  • Location: Oslo
  • Views: 202
  • Message 451 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-14, 20:36 PM

@JNavas

I'm sorry man, with all due respect, your notion of there being a certain way a computer (any computer) is meant to be used is completely static and utterly misguided. Of course a computer company will contemplate typical use patterns and save money on specs and construction, but the only real limit is the hardware's own limits. If it wasnt so, computer companies could not be stating hardware specs as commercial for their products - in a world where people have access to information on how hardware is supposed to work, the company would be fronting false information/commercial.

Reply
Options

769 Posts

08-07-2010

United States of America

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

  • Posts: 769
  • Registered: ‎08-07-2010
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 10446
  • Message 452 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-14, 20:49 PM

wrote:

I'm sorry man, with all due respect, your notion of there being a certain way a computer (any computer) is meant to be used is completely static and utterly misguided. Of course a computer company will contemplate typical use patterns and save money on specs and construction, but the only real limit is the hardware's own limits. If it wasnt so, computer companies could not be stating hardware specs as commercial for their products - in a world where people have access to information on how hardware is supposed to work, the company would be fronting false information/commercial.


I'm sorry man, with all due respect, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR
Reply
Options

17 Posts

05-13-2011

United States

229 Signins

448 Page Views

  • Posts: 17
  • Registered: ‎05-13-2011
  • Location: United States
  • Views: 448
  • Message 453 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-14, 20:55 PM
People that buy this computer use the specs published by Lenovo to determine if it is sufficient for their needs. Lenovo does not say "this can only be used for web browsing and word processing - if you try to play a game, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS THE HARDWARE TO SUPPORT IT, then screw you!" If Lenovo did say that, sure, JNavas, you'd have a point. But they don't. The only thing that a potential consumer has to go off of are the hardware specifications, and we have to make our own decisions if they fit our needs. For those of us that purchased this computer, we decided that an i7 would adequately meet our needs. Now that we have the computer, we find that it is in fact not doing what an i7 is supposed to do because of an error on Lenovo's part. There is no question that Lenovo is responsible for fixing this.
Reply
Options

769 Posts

08-07-2010

United States of America

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

  • Posts: 769
  • Registered: ‎08-07-2010
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 10446
  • Message 454 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-14, 21:13 PM

wrote:
People that buy this computer use the specs published by Lenovo to determine if it is sufficient for their needs. Lenovo does not say "this can only be used for web browsing and word processing - if you try to play a game, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS THE HARDWARE TO SUPPORT IT, then screw you!" If Lenovo did say that, sure, JNavas, you'd have a point. But they don't. The only thing that a potential consumer has to go off of are the hardware specifications, and we have to make our own decisions if they fit our needs. For those of us that purchased this computer, we decided that an i7 would adequately meet our needs. Now that we have the computer, we find that it is in fact not doing what an i7 is supposed to do because of an error on Lenovo's part. There is no question that Lenovo is responsible for fixing this.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR
Reply
Options

19 Posts

06-14-2011

San Mateo, CA

82 Signins

266 Page Views

  • Posts: 19
  • Registered: ‎06-14-2011
  • Location: San Mateo, CA
  • Views: 266
  • Message 455 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-14, 22:15 PM

I wonder what would happen if I contacted many big online gadget editorials..

Just a thought.

It is summer, and I do have some free time before school starts up again.

Heh..

Reply
Options

213 Posts

12-06-2007

United States of America

431 Signins

7269 Page Views

  • Posts: 213
  • Registered: ‎12-06-2007
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 7269
  • Message 456 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-14, 22:25 PM

Granted I'm a few pages stale in this conversation but here's where we are.

 

I've seen the new bios for the perma throttle issue and it's going through release now. As I've mentioned before, we used the setup described in this thread to repro the issue so thanks for that. The updated BIOS (yes it's a BIOS update) will go through our release process which involves quality testing before it hits the web. Although I'm not in this group directly, the BIOS will be on the web soon.

 

Second, on the throttling issue overall. These improvements are still going through trials and the results have much improved performance. This will be a second BIOS update but it is in the works. The perma-throttle fix will be released first.

Reply
Options

769 Posts

08-07-2010

United States of America

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

  • Posts: 769
  • Registered: ‎08-07-2010
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 10446
  • Message 457 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-14, 22:57 PM

wrote:

Granted I'm a few pages stale in this conversation but here's where we are.

I've seen the new bios for the perma throttle issue and it's going through release now. As I've mentioned before, we used the setup described in this thread to repro the issue so thanks for that. The updated BIOS (yes it's a BIOS update) will go through our release process which involves quality testing before it hits the web. Although I'm not in this group directly, the BIOS will be on the web soon.

Second, on the throttling issue overall. These improvements are still going through trials but the results have much improved performance. This will be a second BIOS update but it is in the works. The perma-throttle fix will be released first.


Appreciate you keeping us posted.
Will the mSATA fix be in the 1st or 2nd BIOS update?
Thanks!

John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR
Reply
Options

63 Posts

06-20-2011

UK

865 Signins

1248 Page Views

  • Posts: 63
  • Registered: ‎06-20-2011
  • Location: UK
  • Views: 1248
  • Message 458 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-14, 22:57 PM
@Ken
Thank you for the update. I think it is a great news.
Reply
Options

78 Posts

05-15-2011

USA

991 Signins

1823 Page Views

  • Posts: 78
  • Registered: ‎05-15-2011
  • Location: USA
  • Views: 1823
  • Message 459 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-15, 0:45 AM

Ken,

 

Thanks much for the update.  They are always appreciated.

 

 

 

JNavas,

 

I'm sorry, but your intended use of the mSATA is not congruent with Lenovo's projected standard usage scenarios.

 

 

 ;-)

 

Owner/Technology Specialist
Triple-S Computers - http://www.TripleSComputers.com
Reply
Options

14 Posts

07-27-2010

Singapore

64 Signins

451 Page Views

  • Posts: 14
  • Registered: ‎07-27-2010
  • Location: Singapore
  • Views: 451
  • Message 460 of 727

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

2011-07-15, 1:40 AM
Can't wait for the BIOS update to come out, even though I have not encountered this throttling issue on my X220 i7. I don't play games on it, stress the machine hard enough to induce throttling nor have the time to test it out.

Nevertheless, a big thanks to everyone who found this issue because I would rather have a machine working perfectly because in my country (a small red dot), this X220 set me back US$2,300+, and that is a heap-load of cash to splash on a machine that ain' perfect, to me, imo.
Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms