Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

05-31-2011

EU

37 Signins

367 Page Views

• Views: 367
  • Message 1 of 5

X220 display stopped working

2011-06-17, 12:29 PM

I have a very strange problem with my X220: 

Today I was working with it, then send it to sleep mode. Everything fine. After travelling I pulled it out of my bag and it was already stunned because it was warm. It turned out that it was powered on, but it seems as if only the CPU was on, not the fan or the HD.

Now, when I switch it on the screen doesn't work anymore. Seems that the backlight is off. After switching it off and on a couple of times it worked again for a very brief period but now again is completely blank. Everything else seems to work fine. 

So this is very strange. Please help me with this issue!

Options

21 Posts

05-31-2011

EU

37 Signins

367 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: X220 display stopped working

2011-06-17, 14:50 PM

The power management seems to have severe problems also of a different nature.

I sent my X220 i5 to sleep and then transported it for a while. When I pulled it out of my bag it was powered on and warm, but neither the fan nor the HD running. But the display stopped working totally. External display works, though.

This poses several questions:

How can the laptop turn on "partially"?

Why does it turn on automatically during transport (all radios powered off)?

What happened to the display?

Moderator edit: Matched subject to thread.

Options

17 Posts

05-13-2011

United States

229 Signins

448 Page Views

• Views: 448
  • Message 3 of 5

2011-06-17, 15:17 PM
gnufish, how much ram do you have? when i first got my x220, i put in 2x4gb (8gb total), and the same thing happened to me every time i put it to sleep...but only when i put it to sleep by closing the lid. if i went to orb->sleep, it worked fine. the memory was fine - passed memtest no issue, no other problems with it except the sleep issue. worked fine with either stick by itself, or with either stick in conjunction with the factory 2gb stick...so i bought 2 new 4gb sticks from a different manufacturer and haven't had any issues since.
Options

21 Posts

05-31-2011

EU

37 Signins

367 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2011-06-17, 15:21 PM

I have the originial 4 GB memory stick built in by Lenovo and changed nothing.

Besides, the notebook did never go to sleep when closing the lid (although configured in this way), so I pressed Fn+F4 to make it sleep.

I never reported about the bug with lid closing as I considered it minor. But now... Display not working - I cannot work.

Lenovo service team keeps telling me that maybe it will not be a warranty issue as the display may have overheated. This is really strange, as I didn't suppose the computer to work while transporting it. Also, it was warm, but not hot.

Options

21 Posts

05-31-2011

EU

37 Signins

367 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2011-06-17, 18:18 PM

I now did some additional test and detected that the notebook starts working again when I close the lit AFTER having pressed Fn+F4. Working means that the lights are on and the HD spins, but it is not manageable anymore. Also, sometimes the harddisk shuts down after a short while and I just hear some decent buzz when I put my ear on the exhaust. No fan spinning.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms