Options

13 Posts

02-03-2018

JP

28 Signins

157 Page Views

• Views: 157
  • Message 1 of 2

X220 doesn't switch on. Battery indicator issues "morse code".

2019-05-01, 3:26 AM

My X220 worked yesterday. Today it has the following behaviour:

• Connected to power, battery inserted:
    When pushed, the power button briefly turns green, then off. The battery indicator on the lid flashes short short short long short. The screen remains black.
  • Connected to power, battery NOT inserted:
    When pushing the power button, it briefly turns green, then off. The battery indicator on the lid flashes short short short. The screen remains black.
  • NOT connected to power, battery inserted:
    When pushing the power button, the boot loader (Grub) is displayed on the screen, but it switches itself off after a second or two.
  • NOT connected to power, battery NOT inserted:
    Expected behaviour :smileywink:

I am sure the battery indicator wants to tell me something, but I don't understand it. Does it want to say that the battery is dead and can't be charged anymore? Does the laptop only boot with a (functioning) battery?

Thanks much for enlightening me.

Solved! See the solution
Options

13 Posts

02-03-2018

JP

28 Signins

157 Page Views

• Views: 157
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: X220 doesn't switch on. Battery indicator issues "morse code".

2019-05-01, 22:54 PM

Well, it looks like the problem is fixed, but I still wonder what's wrong.

After keeping the laptop connected to power for several hours, it would switch on. However, I could only see the illuminated power button and hear the fan turning; the display remained black. Briefly pushing the power button switched it off.

I tried again after disconnecting power. Lo and behold, the laptop booted from battery. After this, reconnecting power doesn't cause trouble, and I can also start the laptop again while connected to power.

So, it seems to be working again, but I wonder what caused all this. A depleted battery prevents the X220 from starting up so that not even the initial THINKPAD splash screen is seen? After charging the battery, it won't display anything while connected to power (can this be related to heat, I wonder?)? Disconnecting power for a couple of minutes fixes everything?

Strange, and I fear something undesirable will happen again.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete