cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MizBlackCrow
Paper Tape
Views: 1,218
Message 1 of 3

X220 mSATA recovery disk install hangup...

Hey all. First off-- I'm Miz Black Crow, it's my first time on the Lenovo boards, because before tonight, I had never owned a Lenovo. But I have to say, this community seems incredibly awesome in every single way, and you guys have been a MAJOR asset in deciding what laptop to buy and how to make it, well, better.

I'm the proud momma to a new-to-me, factory-refurbished X220 with an i7 2.7Ghz, 320GB 7200RPM HDD, 6GB RAM (now 16GB RAM, because yesssss), IPS screen, the works. Even came with unexpected bonuses of the webcam, fingerprint scanner AND the dock (none of which Lenovo mentioned in the listing... sweeeeeet). So, being a tinkerer, I swapped for 16GB RAM (booted fine, win7 recognized all of it), made recovery disks, pulled the HDD out, installed a 120GB OCZ Nocti mSATA drive, booted the system. The BIOS recognized the drive but, since it's a new drive, no OS. Dropped the bootable recovery disk in the oh-so-handy dock's DVD drive, ThinkVantage Product Recovery started right up. Asked me for the first data disk, which I happily obliged it with, and now it's....

...sitting. Laughing at me. Silently.

Specifically, it seems stuck on "Current Progress: preparing hard disk" (caps/nocaps Lenovo, not me). It's been sitting like that for 40 minutes. No blinking lights, no progress on the progress bar, no changes at all to tell me if it's working (and since it's an SSD, no drive spin to listen for). The only reason I haven't rebooted and tried again is that the Trackpoint function still works, so I know it hasn't locked up yet.

But the kuestion (excuse typos, certain keys are broken on this laptop--hence the replacement) is, how long do I let this sit this way? I don't know if it's doing anything. It's 4-15AM and I'm afraid that if I go to bed it will magically move forward and ask for things, like the next disk. If I stay sitting here, it will never do anything but mock my consciousness.

It seems like people generally run into success with X220s and mSATA drives... what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks, and you guys are seriously awesome and I wouldn't even be this far without you,

~MizBlackCrow

MizBlackCrow
Paper Tape
Views: 1,214
Message 2 of 3

Re: X220 mSATA recovery disk install hangup...

....so OMFG I'm an idiot. Not two minutes after posting this kuestion (keyboard issues, no W-but-left-one key) I solved my own idiot, idiot problem.

What happened -- I had gotten a popup asking for the 1st data disk. I obliged. I heard the DVD drive spin when I put it in and the popup went away without me clicking the "Okay" button. Because, with the sensitive touchpad, I clicked on the larger Product Recovery window. Which hid the popup. Which stalled my progress.

I discovered this by "testing to make sure the trackpoint worked" by moving the Product Recovery window around, uncovering the popup, and clicking okay. The recovery is now going smoothly. **HEADDESK**

This is why I shouldn't be allowed to work on computers at 4 in the morning...

~MizBlackCrow

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,192
Message 3 of 3

Re: X220 mSATA recovery disk install hangup...

Hello,

Glad to hear you solved the problem.  I have a somewhat similarly-configured X220 (i7, 16GB RAM, 128GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD) and used the ThinkPad recovery media to load Windows 7 Professional x64 without problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors