Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bg8
Paper Tape
Views: 157
Message 1 of 5

X220 recovery "no core CD modules list file"

Just tried the recovery media made when first got my X220 & the restore & recovery program eventually throws up an error message "There is no core CD modules list file", so fails to restore.

The recovery media reads fine - just like it did when I checked after originally burning them - the restore & recovery program apparently wants to see something that wasn't written to the discs in the first place.

I have also tried the three DVD (0A44006_1, 0A40707_2-1, 0A40733_2-2) Lenovo W7P installer disk set - which also concludes with the "There is no core CD modules list file".

Trying to get machine back to original state.  There is no recovery partition on the HDD as when the X220 was purchased, Lenovo would no longer provide the downgrade media, so the partition is gone.  Any suggestions?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 123
Message 2 of 5

Re: X220 recovery "no core CD modules list file"

Hi bg8,

Welcome to the Community forums. 

Could you tell us the reason why you are trying to get the machine back to its original state? Is it not booting to Windows? If it doesn't boot, then you may try creating a recovery media for Windows 10 then use it to repair the preinstalled OS, if that does not work then we suggest contacting our local software support to order a recovery media for Windows 7 professional. You may contact our software support here; https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist

Thanks!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

bg8
Paper Tape
Views: 100
Message 3 of 5

Having downgraded from W7 after purchase - without the right media as both dealer & Lenovo wouldn't supply at the time - I only have the R+R discs made from the machine before installing XP.  And those discs don't work, ending with the "no core CD modules list file" error as mentioned.  Same problem with the other set of recovery discs mentioned.

I have zero confidence that purchasing another set of recovery discs will have any different result & frankly, am not interested in having to purchase again something I supposedly own but appears to have never worked.

There's no recovery partition on the HDD as the downgrade had to be done without the right media as mentioned above.

Why I want to put the machine back into its original state seems both obvious - as well as irrelevant... I could just as well as had a HDD failure & need to get the machine going again.  Finding out the recovery media doesn't work is something you don't want to find out only when you need to use it.

Anybody have an image of the HDD of a 4286CTO as it was shipped?  They didn't come with W10.  Otherwise it seems I need to find a way around this problem of R+R not finding the file it wants to see on the recovery discs...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 89
Message 4 of 5

Hi!

You can try installing a Windows 7 ISO file from Microsoft Website, and check if it'll work with the OS reinstallation. The page may required the Windows Product Key, so you may need to us a tool such as the ShowKeyPlus tool to get the OEM key embedded in the Motheboard of your laptop to proceed with the ISO File Download.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

bg8
Paper Tape
Views: 65
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the suggestion, Hector.

Thankfully, ShowKeyPlus does run on XP (one gets the impression it will not from what is at https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/tag/ShowkeyPlus ), it gives me an "installed key" which is different from the key on the label on the laptop.  ShowKeyPlus does not give an OEM key, instead reports "Unable to find entry point named 'EnumSystemFir..." (truncated by ShowKeyPlus).

Since MS' licence allowed downgrading, I am fairly certain I used the key from the label.  So not sure where this key ShowKeyPlus has found comes from & why apparently there is no OEM key to be found when there should be one.

Any further suggestions welcome as this is looking like it might not work...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors