Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dnw333
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,381
Message 1 of 23

X220 touchpad, Can't right click drag with more than one stroke

1. Put cursor over a file or folder on the desktop.

2. Hold the lower right corner of the touchpad (embedded right button)

3. Drag with another finger (either hand)

4. Lift off the dragging finger to reposition, then touch again, and it lets go of the icon, returning it to the original position.  (This means I'm not accidentally lifting off the right button. If I was doing that, the icon would remain where I moved it to.

There are 3 ways to keep it from doing this:

a. Use the right hard button above the pad.

b. Press the touchpad button below the bend along the lower edge (As close to the edge as possible.

c. Insulate the button pressing finger from the pad with folded paper, or press with a pencil eraser.

b and c above show that it's the presence of a touch in the active area above the lower edge bend,  This touch, plus another touch being initiated in any other area of the pad interrupts the drag operation.

The "tap and drag" settings have no effect on this.

I just received the machine today after a 1 month order wait, and this is frustating enough to make me want to send it back.  As-is, it's nearly impossible to do right-click moves using the right pad button.  It becomes a 2-handed operation, one to hold the upper right button, and the other to do the dragging.

Former Employee
Views: 12,286
Message 2 of 23

Re: X220 touchpad, Can't right click drag with more than one stroke

hey dnw333,

could you update your ultranav driver and install the latest ultranav utility via the link below

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-77280.html

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
dnw333
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,229
Message 3 of 23

Re: X220 touchpad, Can't drag using trackpad buttons

The new driver fixed the multi-swipe drag issue, but has three bigger problems now.

1.  The right trackpad  button behaves as left click in the desktop, but registers as right click in diagnostics.

2.  Dragging cursor movement doesn't happen depending on where the button-clicking finger sits on the active area of the trackpad.  This is a  bit hard to explain, so I made a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csXSR-cwcGc

dnw333
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,225
Message 4 of 23

And, the third problem is that occasionally, I get no button click recognition at all.  I either have to connect an external mouse, or do a shutdown/reboot via keyboard.

My driver version is 15.3.2.0 and the Ultranav utility was updated at the same time.

Former Employee
Views: 12,204
Message 5 of 23

could you uninstall all ultranav drivers + software from your unit.

let windows install its own generic drivers. with the generic drivers installed, does the touchpad work ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

dnw333
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,193
Message 6 of 23

ok. 

Control panel, "Programs and Features"   Uninstalled Thinkpad Untranav Utility  and driver items.

Rebooted.  Confirmed that these applications ar eno longer present.

Checked Device Manager, under Mice and Pointing Devices.  All it shows there is "PS/2 compatible Mouse"

Results:

1. Right click with touchpad right switch now generates a right click.

2. Left, and right click drags with the touchpad lower switches now work, but there is a tendency for the finger touch to move the cursor off target before the press is completed.

Suggestion to Synaptics.

When pressing one of the touchpad switches, there will always be a finger touch on the touchpad sensing surface first, which will probably have a negative effect.

To avoid this, any initial touch in the lower left or right areas should be ignored, and any cursor motion generated by that touch should be undone as soon as the switch closes.

Downloaded latest driver and utility. 

Installing driver (15.3.6.0 / 6hgx40ww) first, and restart.

Result for driver reinstall:

1. Right click with touchpad right switch works

2. Right click multiple swipe drag works.

3. Left click drag works, but ONLY if the clicking finger is touching the active area of the pad.  If you click too close to the edge, or use an object to press the switch, then the switch closure itself is not recognized.  The same issue exists for right clicks.

Actually the behavior seems to be reversed now,  You MUST have a finger touch in the areas that prevented movement earlier to register the click event,  If you press the switch too high, or too low, or with an object, such as pencil eraser, then there's no click.

So, with the new driver. I get acceptable dragging action as long as my finger isn't too far out of position.

However, doing things like dragging a scrollbar with these buttons is still very frustrating, since the cursor tends to move off target before the switch closes.  This can be avoided by bringing the finger down onto the pad very quickly, to close the switch before any movement takes place.  A slow press will almost always move the cursor before the click.

Installing the utility (7VGQ14WW) next.

Still works, and the initial lag when trying to drag things is now gone. 

So, aside for the cursor to move while clicking, I'd say the problem was fixed by the new driver. 

Thanks for the fast responses, and to the driver devs for fixing it this quickly.

robkassab
Token Ring
Views: 12,054
Message 7 of 23

I'm just setting-up a new X220 i7 w/SSD and have the same touchpad issues.  I ran the Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox diagnostics on the touchpad, and it showed that the right click was actually a behaving like a left click.  Not sure if this is a hardware issue with the pad itself, the touchpad driver, or a capacitance problem since it seems to function properly right after a fresh boot, but then the performance quickly deteriorates from there.

We need Lenovo to jump on this asap.

Rob Kassab
X260 20A7 i7 16GB Win 10 Pro 64 512 SSD Ultradock | X240 20AL-00D7US, i7 8GB Win8.1 Pro 64, 512 SSD, Ultradock | X201 3249-CTO, i7 8GB Win7 Ult 64 Vertex 2 UltraBase | Twist S230u 3347-XF7, i7 8GB 120GB SSD, Win8 Pro | X120e 0596-CTO E350 4GB Win7 Ult 64 Vertex 2 SSD | X200 | T61 | T42 | X31 | T30
Former Employee
Views: 12,018
Message 8 of 23

could you try the suggestion which i gave earlier and report back on your findings ?

WW Social Media

robkassab
Token Ring
Views: 12,006
Message 9 of 23

I uninstalled the Lenovo driver and utility, and Windows installed the generic MS driver.  Cursor movement became very nervous.

I then installed the latest UltraNav Driver 15.3.6.0, and it worked much better, however, still with some issues similar to the above post.

I then installed the UltraNav Utility which did not seem to affect anything.

I then went into the UltraNav settings and disabled some of the Advanced Features such as pinch zoom and scrolling.  This seemed to help.  However, I still get occasional missed left clicks, and right clicks sometimes are executed as left clicks.

The trackpoint however worked perfectly.

My X201 and X120e, and along with all my previous ThinkPad models (and I have had many of them) all with UltraNav with conventional right and left click buttons, and compared to the X220 touchpad design, they are far superior to this.

My opinion is this is a hardware issue and Lenovo should redesign the touchpad on the X220 and replace the existing pads already in service.  This is a beautiful machine, but spoiled by a defective design and/or poor execution of the design.

Smiley Sad

Rob Kassab
X260 20A7 i7 16GB Win 10 Pro 64 512 SSD Ultradock | X240 20AL-00D7US, i7 8GB Win8.1 Pro 64, 512 SSD, Ultradock | X201 3249-CTO, i7 8GB Win7 Ult 64 Vertex 2 UltraBase | Twist S230u 3347-XF7, i7 8GB 120GB SSD, Win8 Pro | X120e 0596-CTO E350 4GB Win7 Ult 64 Vertex 2 SSD | X200 | T61 | T42 | X31 | T30
DevonBlake
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 11,851
Message 10 of 23

Re: X220 touchpad--can't set momentum or glide action on touchpad...

I am having issues as well, but they may be from my lack of knowledge. I had my former laptop (cheap but wonderful little Samsung XP netbook--slow as molassses compared to this X220) touchpad set like a trackball with smooth, gliding pointer action. Some call it momentum and said I can set any Synaptics touchpad this way, but I cannot find the setting option. Any help? It should be under the Pointer Motion tab--MOMENTUM.

Thanks so much in advance. Also do any of you know how to disable that annoying automatic zoom feature that I set off accidentally CONSTANTLY?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions....

Devon

Also, any help with errant dropdown boxes? I must hover over the touchpad with both hands and do something, but every time I go to click on something this annoying drop down menu pops up. I think it comes form unintentionally activating the right click feature without cicking? It is so frustrating. I LOVE this computer but the touchpad is really difficult and the settings option are either missing or hiding. I'm afraid to download anything without your suggestions. Thanks again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors