Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PAP3007
Paper Tape
Views: 115
Message 1 of 6

X220i crashed, I need advice with MS Office

Just joined, am a user not a technical expert. My X220i crashed today after 5 1/2 years without an issue. Only way to revive was to reinstall Operating System to factory settings. Windows 10 was installed by default, originally had Windows 7. My personal files were salvaged but all programs were lost. So, have a "clean" laptop and need to rebuild.

When I purchased X220i from Lenovo, it came with Microsoft Office 10 pre-installed but that is obviously gone. I need to reinstall MS Office 10 but unable to as I don't have the Product Key  which was never communicated to me by Lenovo. Any idea on how I can find that product key so I can re-install MS Office 10? I appreciate any advice.

LightCycle
Paper Tape
Views: 91
Message 2 of 6

Re: X220i crashed, I need advice with MS Office

I assume you are referring to MS Office 2010.  Most of the pre-loaded installations of MS Office I've seen were actually trial versions which you had to pay for to perminatly activate. Any chance that you paid for Office and have forgotten?

PAP3007
Paper Tape
Views: 84
Message 3 of 6

That is possible - if this is so I must have paid for it at some point in the last 5 years as I have been using MS Office 10 extensively since then. The issue is that I have no Product Key record. Since Microsoft is the owner of the software, it would follow that they have that key, which in some way must be associated to some identifier I must have provided and should able to provide again. Does that make sense?

LightCycle
Paper Tape
Views: 78
Message 4 of 6

It does.  I don't know if this will work, but if I were you I would call the Microsoft Customer Support line:  800-642-7676.  I've had very good results calling them with Windows 10 activation problems, and also a problem with Streets and Trips a few years ago.  Can't hurt.    Just out of curosity, what modules of Office do you use, and which ones don't you use?  I ask because there are some pretty good alternatives for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint that are inexpensive, or free.

PAP3007
Paper Tape
Views: 75
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the tip - will give them a call

I mainly use Outlook, Excel, Word, less so Powerpoint - have done so forever

LightCycle
Paper Tape
Views: 73
Message 6 of 6

If you like Outlook (I do) you will need to get the real MS Office.  I've not seen any alternative that works as well as it does for me.  Good luck.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors