cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarstenH
Paper Tape
Views: 11,870
Message 1 of 11

X230 2100: Detection error on HDD0 - BIOS issue?

I got the dreaded 2100 error a few days ago on my X230 with a Samsung SSD.

While I managed to solve it in a somewhat unexpected way, I wanted to document the process here as I am almost certain it was the result of a bug in the laptop firmware/BIOS. If any Lenovo representatives are reading along I'd appreciate your comments.

Long story short: Power on laptop, observe 2100 error. Reboot, press Enter to interrupt start-up, then F12 to select boot device. Hard drive appears in list, despite it not being detected a few seconds earlier. Sigh of relief. Select hard drive, boot up. Problem solved.

Details: System configuration is X230 ThinkPad (BIOS version 2.57) with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD (model MZ-7TE1T0BW), Windows 8.1. Before someone points it out, I am aware there's a BIOS version 2.58 available, but from the readme file it doesn't appear to have any fixes for this.

The trouble started when I had just powered on the laptop from stand-by, and was setting up a WiDi connection to my TV. The laptop froze hard - no activity whatsoever, couldn't move the mouse pointer, no response to Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Kept the power button pressed until the laptop switched off. Then got a "2100: Detection error on HDD0" message when I tried to boot it again.

My first concern was trying to salvage as much data as possible, so I removed the SSD and connected it to a different machine using a SATA-USB adapter. The SSD appeared to be in perfect condition, and I was able to copy all of my data off of it.

Popped the SSD back in the X230, but still got the 2100 error. At this point the X230 had been without power and with the battery removed for more than 12 hours.

I then re-installed the original HDD that came with the X230, a spinning Hitachi drive. It was detected automatically and the laptop booted up without any issues.

Put the SSD back in, the 2100 error returned. Re-seated the SSD a few times to rule out mechanical problems, but the error persisted. I used the original drive mounting bracket at all times.

As I was preparing to run a diagnostic program off a USB stick, I went to the boot menu to select a startup device, and
that's when I saw the SSD at the top of the device list. And so I selected it, it booted up, and has been doing so ever since.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,820
Message 2 of 11

Re: X230 2100: Detection error on HDD0 - BIOS issue?

There are tons of threads on forum here about this error 2100 issue. Most of them relate to the drive (SSD as well as HDD) firmware. Is your SSD fw up to date?

Look at the bottom of this your thread and find out another similar discussions.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

CarstenH
Paper Tape
Views: 11,809
Message 3 of 11

Good point x220forMe, I checked and my SSD is running firmware EXT0BB0Q, while the latest version is EXT0BB6Q.

I would say though that it still looks like an issue with the X230, given the sequence of events and not least the fact that it was able to detect the hard drive by simply navigating through the boot menu.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'd been using the SSD for about six months before this happened. It it were an intermittent error like a timing issue or a mechanical problem, I would expect it to go away by simply power cycling the laptop or re-seating the drive.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the firmware aspect. If I get the error again I'll update the SSD first thing and see if that helps. If the problem is with the drive itself, the laptop should then detect it after the update.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,799
Message 4 of 11

Look at your drive p/n more clearly and then read the page below:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013805

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

uncle-khmel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,339
Message 5 of 11

X230 2100: Detection error on HDD0 - BIOS issue? Smiley Embarassed Lenovo Tablet x230 write 2100 error after six month good work with Samsung -  ssd 840 evo 750gb Smiley Sad

@CarstenH wrote:

I got the dreaded 2100 error a few days ago on my X230 with a Samsung SSD.

While I managed to solve it in a somewhat unexpected way, I wanted to document the process here as I am almost certain it was the result of a bug in the laptop firmware/BIOS. If any Lenovo representatives are reading along I'd appreciate your comments.

Long story short: Power on laptop, observe 2100 error. Reboot, press Enter to interrupt start-up, then F12 to select boot device. Hard drive appears in list, despite it not being detected a few seconds earlier. Sigh of relief. Select hard drive, boot up. Problem solved.

Details: System configuration is X230 ThinkPad (BIOS version 2.57) with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD (model MZ-7TE1T0BW), Windows 8.1. Before someone points it out, I am aware there's a BIOS version 2.58 available, but from the readme file it doesn't appear to have any fixes for this.

The trouble started when I had just powered on the laptop from stand-by, and was setting up a WiDi connection to my TV. The laptop froze hard - no activity whatsoever, couldn't move the mouse pointer, no response to Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Kept the power button pressed until the laptop switched off. Then got a "2100: Detection error on HDD0" message when I tried to boot it again.

My first concern was trying to salvage as much data as possible, so I removed the SSD and connected it to a different machine using a SATA-USB adapter. The SSD appeared to be in perfect condition, and I was able to copy all of my data off of it.

Popped the SSD back in the X230, but still got the 2100 error. At this point the X230 had been without power and with the battery removed for more than 12 hours.

I then re-installed the original HDD that came with the X230, a spinning Hitachi drive. It was detected automatically and the laptop booted up without any issues.

Put the SSD back in, the 2100 error returned. Re-seated the SSD a few times to rule out mechanical problems, but the error persisted. I used the original drive mounting bracket at all times.

As I was preparing to run a diagnostic program off a USB stick, I went to the boot menu to select a startup device, and
that's when I saw the SSD at the top of the device list. And so I selected it, it booted up, and has been doing so ever since.

uncle-khmel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,338
Message 6 of 11

Hi! How does the disc now? How do I configure my samsung SSD 840 EVO 750? drive can run 5 days without errors then when loading an error 2100.
assetor
What's DOS?
Views: 10,990
Message 7 of 11

Hello,

Could you provide info on USB diganostic stick?  If it works I wouldn't bother fixing in any other way because i strongly feel issue is in their firmware.  I am having same problem and I don't think issue is mechanical.  In my case, several time computer was not even being used and error comes up.

I hope Lenovo takes ownership of the problem, admit and provide a fix.

CarstenH
Paper Tape
Views: 10,975
Message 8 of 11

Hi assetor,

I think the USB stick was some Acronis utility, but it's not really important - all I had to do was to enter the boot menu (the Lenovo/BIOS one) and select the SSD, and the problem went away.

My laptop has not "lost" the SSD since I wrote my original post. It's the only time I've seen that issue.

I would assume Lenovo does read these forums, but also that they do not respond as it would make them look bad if they acknowledged an issue but did not fix it.

assetor
What's DOS?
Views: 10,957
Message 9 of 11

Hi CarstenH,

Thanks for your prompt response.  When i get 2100 error and I press ESC, it takes me to boot menu (image attached). When I select ATA HDD2 nothing happens.  I have no option to go to any other screen at boot up.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

20140923_134928_resized.jpg

Best regards,

Arun

assetor
What's DOS?
Views: 10,952
Message 10 of 11

Hi CarstenH,

I changed boot priority in BIOS and made HDD2 (Samsung SSD) as first priority for boot up.  It tries to boot up which was different from previous boot up (it gave 2100 error right after power up).  After changing boot priority, Lenovo log comes up and after few seconds later 2100 is displayed.  It seems its looking for HDD0.

BTW I replaced HDD0 (Hitachi) with brand new one before I did all of the above.  No luck so far...2100 - 1.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors