Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frozensun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 373
Message 1 of 4

X230 CPU running at 1.2GHz only,why?

I purchased recently Thinkpad X230.Upgraded to Windows 10 and updated but noticed in few days it works so slow.I unlugged the battery and left to work only on power supply/adapter.I noticed that CPU works only on 1.2GHz.

Why is that?When I plugged the battery and plug in at wall socket CPU runs at 3.1GHz max.

I was so dissapointed,which means CPU can't work at it's max frequency without battery,otherwise I wouldn't buy this notebook.
Is this normal or not,and why is it happening?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 363
Message 2 of 4

Re: X230 CPU running at 1.2GHz only,why?

Why would you want to run without a battery???

There are 2 power inputs.  If one is disconnecterd, the CPU will throttle down.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
frozensun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 293
Message 3 of 4

I don't want to use it with battery because it's more heavy.Besides that first time I hear that notebook must work with battery in order it's CPU to reach maximum frequency which is not case with other brands Asus,HP...

So dissapointed with Lenovo.

I was told that I need power adapter with 90 W in order to solve this problem.Mine is 65W.

SeniorGuru
Views: 286
Message 4 of 4

I don't want to use it with battery because it's more heavy.

I can give you several reasons why you should reconsider:

1. Why is weight an issue when you're tethered to an AC cord?

2. The battery also acts as a UPS should you lose AC power, e.g. as the result of a power outage/brownout, or perhaps because you accidentally pulled out the power plug. Consider the value of having the battery inserted if it saves you from losing data due to a power outage.

3. Lenove power mangement software like Lenovo Companion, recently supplanted by Lenovo Vantage, lets you set charging thresholds that are intended to minimize wear on the battery. This gives you the best of  both worlds, i.e. the advantages of having a battery without the disadvantage of reduced battery life if left at 100% charge on AC for long periods of time.

> I was told that I need power adapter with 90 W in order to solve this problem.Mine is 65W.

This is correct. See ThinkPad CPU runs at reduced maximum clock speed with no battery installed. (Although the list of ThinkPads stops at X220, this also applies to the X230.