Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddt12
Paper Tape
Views: 503
Message 1 of 5

X230 Computrace

Hello,

I recently by a Lenovo X230 from local dealer , but unfortunately with comutrace activated. I have concern that this can
be hacked and used for cyber atack or to obtain my personal data. I would like to disable this option , without need to install any custom BIOS.

This is a  potential hacker targets because this computrace mechanism was already demonstrated to be vulnerable to attack.

Thanks in advance

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 497
Message 2 of 5

Re: X230 Computrace

I am assuming the laptop is not flagged as stolen.  You can contact Absolute Software by email and ask that you want the machine "flagged for delete in their database" and the Computrace agent removed.  They will require some sort of receipt from when you bought it from the previous owner.  They also want the model and serial from the sticker on the back, plus, most important, the system board serial which you can get from the BIOS screen.  The systemboard serial is the key into their database.  They will then contact their registered owner and ask him if he or she will release the machine.  They will not remove the agent unless their registered owner agrees, even if the registered owner no longer is paying the license fee.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ddt12
Paper Tape
Views: 488
Message 3 of 5

Thank you very much for your answer.

Currently there is no OS on this laptop - I saw this in the BIOS, I bought it yesterday.Seems to be this come from UK company which sells used hardware. I'm located in East Europe , and boght from local dealer of used and refurbished hardware.

I will provide them all data , but how they will disable this in BIOS,maybe I need to install windows first and then contact the the Absolute?

I'm planing to use this with linux, finally

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 469
Message 4 of 5

Did you see the banner warning when you entered the BIOS?  I have never used it with Linux, but I assume it works.  What happens is that there is is some code added that contacts the Absolute occasionally while you are online and it disables everything.  The warning upon entering the BIOS goes away.  You can then go into the BIOS and set Computrace (under security) to disabled.  The process is similar to what happens if the laptop is reported stolen.  The agent contacts absolute occasionally and if the database says "stolen" instead of "delete" the machine trashes things so it cannot be used.

As a warning, if they cannot contact the guy who originally licensed it and get a release, they will NEVER remove the agent.  I had a case where it was bought by a company that went out of business and I had no hope of getting it fixed.  It always took me at least a week for them to contact someone and get it flagged for delete.  I would start the process right away.  Once it is flagged for delete, it stays that way in their database.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ddt12
Paper Tape
Views: 459
Message 5 of 5

Yes I saw the banner, this is just informational that the service is activated.

Seems to be the service is not running under Linux OS. So they need I think at least Windows OS to access the BIOS via their client?

This is very stupid to buy hardware with official rootkit installed. I read some information that there is laptops with deactivated computrace but the service is still running. ( kaspersky lab).
https://securelist.com/absolute-computrace-revisited/58278/

Also this sent unencrypted data , and this can be hacked very easy in public networks and etc.

I will monitor the situation and if i can't get rid of this backdoor i will apply for refund to the local dealer.
Top Kudoed Authors