07-21-2013 10:15 AM - edited 07-21-2013 10:15 AM
Hoping for the community to help me figure out a problem of mine.
Trying to connect my X230 to internet through a new router (Asus - security type WPA-Personal) and although the laptop connects without a problem (98% signal strength), internet pages are not loading. The diagnosis tool isn't finding anything and I could add that other laptops do not have the same problem when connecting to this router.
My tech level is rather low so I don't know what more I could add to help you guys get a clear view of the situation/problem so if more info is needed, let me know. I won't be far.
Thanks a lot,
07-22-2013 06:19 AM
I could add that the laptop runs of Windows 7 and the integrated WiFi Wireless LAN adapter is a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205.
Finally, the router is set on WPA security. It may be a coincidence, but this is the first time that I tried to connect to such a security level and also the first time it's not working.
Thx again for your help.
07-22-2013 04:43 PM - edited 07-22-2013 04:45 PM
I had that machine with Windows 8 Pro and with that network card. It worked fine on about 5 different wireless routers.
1. Take the machine to a different location and different router. Does the wireless work in this case?
2. Contact the router manufacturer and see if there is a firmware upgrade for the router. How old is the router? I have had to replace old routers because they were not compatible with newer equipment.
3. I think there is a wireless upgrade for that wireless card on the Lenovo site. Try upgrading the wireless router.
07-22-2013 05:41 PM
Thanks for your help jdhurst,
To answer your questions:
1. The machine connects fine on other routers. For example Starbucks (Unsecured), friends house (Linksys on WPA2-Personal), two different schools (WPA-Enterprise and WPA2-Enterprise).
Maybe it's a coincidence but its the first time the machine tries to connect to a WPA-Personal...
2. Several other computers connect well to this router. Which leads me to believe that the problem is with the X230.
3. How do I do this if I can't access internet with the said machine? (sorry, a bit of a noob).
A) When I open up the Wireless Network Connction Status, it says ''No Internet Access'' next to IPv6 Connectivity.
B) Although this router is set on WPA-Personnal, the Lenovo Access Connections manager seems to think that specific router is in fact a WPA2-PSK
Hopefully this will generate more thoughts on the subject.
07-22-2013 05:44 PM
2. Several other computers connect well to this router. Which leads me to believe that the problem is with the X230
I have had that issue and it was caused by an incompatiblity between the card and router. It is unlikely to be an X230 flaw.
07-22-2013 06:06 PM
Ahhh, maybe that's it then.
Since this is only a place where I'm crashing for a few days, and this not being my own router, I was hoping for a quickfix that I could do on my own.