cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatrickL
Paper Tape
Views: 1,825
Message 1 of 7

(X230) Connected to Wifi with excellent signal but unable to load internet pages:

Hey everyone,

Hoping for the community to help me figure out a problem of mine.

Trying to connect my X230 to internet through a new router (Asus - security type WPA-Personal) and although the laptop connects without a problem (98% signal strength), internet pages are not loading. The diagnosis tool isn't finding anything and I could add that other laptops do not have the same problem when connecting to this router.

My tech level is rather low so I don't know what more I could add to help you guys get a clear view of the situation/problem so if more info is needed, let me know. I won't be far.

Thanks a lot,

Patrick 

PatrickL
Paper Tape
Views: 1,789
Message 2 of 7

Re: (X230) Connected to Wifi with excellent signal but unable to load internet pages:

Anyone?

I could add that the laptop runs of Windows 7 and the integrated WiFi Wireless LAN adapter is a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205.

Finally, the router is set on WPA security. It may be a coincidence, but this is the first time that I tried to connect to such a security level and also the first time it's not working.

Thx again for your help.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,773
Message 3 of 7

Re: (X230) Connected to Wifi with excellent signal but unable to load internet pages:

I had that machine with Windows 8 Pro and with that network card. It worked fine on about 5 different wireless routers.

1. Take the machine to a different location and different router. Does the wireless work in this case?

2. Contact the router manufacturer and see if there is a firmware upgrade for the router. How old is the router?  I have had to replace old routers because they were not compatible with newer equipment.

3. I think there is a wireless upgrade for that wireless card on the Lenovo site. Try upgrading the wireless router.

.... JDH

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,772
Message 4 of 7

Also check the firewall on the router. You need to log into the router and look at the firewall settings.

.... JDH

PatrickL
Paper Tape
Views: 1,751
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your help jdhurst,

To answer your questions:

1. The machine connects fine on other routers. For example Starbucks (Unsecured), friends house (Linksys on WPA2-Personal), two different schools (WPA-Enterprise and WPA2-Enterprise).

Maybe it's a coincidence but its the first time the machine tries to connect to a WPA-Personal...

2. Several other computers connect well to this router. Which leads me to believe that the problem is with the X230.

3. How do I do this if I can't access internet with the said machine? (sorry, a bit of a noob).

Extra notes:

A) When I open up the Wireless Network Connction Status, it says ''No Internet Access'' next to IPv6 Connectivity.

B) Although this router is set on WPA-Personnal, the Lenovo Access Connections manager seems to think that specific router is in fact a WPA2-PSK

Hopefully this will generate more thoughts on the subject.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,749
Message 6 of 7

2. Several other computers connect well to this router. Which leads me to believe that the problem is with the X230

I have had that issue and it was caused by an incompatiblity between the card and router. It is unlikely to be an X230 flaw.

... JDH

PatrickL
Paper Tape
Views: 1,742
Message 7 of 7

Ahhh, maybe that's it then.

Since this is only a place where I'm crashing for a few days, and this not being my own router, I was hoping for a quickfix that I could do on my own.

Thanks though.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors