Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swallman
Punch Card
Views: 2,208
Message 1 of 12

X230 IPS?

I'm looking at purchasing a used X230 laptop from someone and trying to confirm the LCD panel it has.  The description is listed at 2325-DN3 and I can't find any info on that model in any of the reference books.  The Lenovo website shows it with IPS but indicates it's a generic listing.

The buyer is a large website so sort of difficult to have them send me the serial #.

Any ideas how I can confirm before making the purchase?

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,173
Message 2 of 12

Re: X230 IPS?

2325-DNE is not listed in the psref so it is probably a custom build.  The machine is probably at least 4 years old.  The X230 notebook was sold with IPS screens as an option, but TN screens also fit.  Even if you could confirm it was originally built with an IPS screen by a serial number lookup, it could have been changed at some point.  Also, if it was built with a TN screen, it could have been upgraded.  

The short answer is that you cannot tell without seeing the screen.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,166
Message 3 of 12

That laptop with MTM 2325-DN3 had IPS panel factory installed. Anyway, you could request the seller LCD panel manufacturer p/n (using AIDA, HWiNFO etc.tools, for example) or EDID parameter from the registry.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
x1c Gen3 (2015) • WQHD MT IPS, PCIe ssd
Miix 2 10"  |  Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android 5.0), BKC800 BT Keyboard, FolioCase
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 wireless router, hdd 1 TB, BT speaker, power bank

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

swallman
Punch Card
Views: 2,165
Message 4 of 12

Thanks...I went ahead and ordered, taking a chance that it hasn't been spec'd incorrectly.  From what I could tell it also should have 8GB of RAM (although the seller has 4 in one line and 8 in another area).  I figure worse case I can upgrade the panel myself as it looks easy enough to do...

swallman
Punch Card
Views: 2,133
Message 5 of 12

So I found a different X230 locally by where I live...the seller doesn't seem to have a lot of IT experience but he gave me these numbers from underneath the battery.  I can't seem to find them to match up to anything...

2324-AP4 S/N xxxxx 12/09
3437-2AU S/N xxxxx 13/08

Anyone have ideas?  Thanks!

Moderator comment: Serial number(s) removed to protect member from mischief.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,125
Message 6 of 12

What do want to know about?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
x1c Gen3 (2015) • WQHD MT IPS, PCIe ssd
Miix 2 10"  |  Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android 5.0), BKC800 BT Keyboard, FolioCase
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 wireless router, hdd 1 TB, BT speaker, power bank

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

swallman
Punch Card
Views: 2,124
Message 7 of 12

Trying to find out if it has (or was intitially configured with) an IPS display.

I want to confirm before I cancel my other order and drive out to see the locally available model.

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,107
Message 8 of 12

The first one is a TN (not IPS) panel.  The second one is an entirely different kind of machine with a multi-touch tablet screen

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
swallman
Punch Card
Views: 2,103
Message 9 of 12

Thanks...I see that the serial # was actually in that list of numbers (just didn't think about S/N being the prefix!)...

Anyways...decisions decisions...I could buy it and swap out the panel easily enough I imagine.

Thanks!

vitalidva
Paper Tape
Views: 1,841
Message 10 of 12

help !

2325 - 4g7

ips or tn ????

Top Kudoed Authors