Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghostskwid
Paper Tape
Views: 7,943
Message 1 of 9

X230 Integrated Webcam Installation + 3x3 Antenna Q

Ok, so like an idiot I had no idea what a 3x3 antenna was and chose it for my HD display, didn't get the webcam and have the Intel Centrino 2x2 2200 wifi card.

http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x230_fru_bom_v3.pdf

I see 3 camera FRUs listed here.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to install an integrated cam with my current config.

2. What part do I pick for the HD webcam 720p for my IPS display.

3. Would I have to cut out an antenna and would this be possible/dangerous?

4. My 3x3 config is useless without a 3x3 card?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 7,940
Message 2 of 9

Re: X230 Integrated Webcam Installation + 3x3 Antenna Q

welcome to the community!

my first question would be: are you willing to void your warranty? i'm pretty sure that opening the lcd assembly would do so.

cheers.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,933
Message 3 of 9

@ghostskwid wrote:

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to install an integrated cam with my current config.

2. What part do I pick for the HD webcam 720p for my IPS display.

3. Would I have to cut out an antenna and would this be possible/dangerous?

4. My 3x3 config is useless without a 3x3 card?

1.  Its possible but you will need to (at least partially) remove one antenna

2.  Beats me?!?

3.  See 1. above....... you do need to be quite careful when dealing with anything in the lid/screen... there's no warranty coverage for anything you do in there.

4.  Not useless, but you will only be able to use two of the antennas.  With a 3x3 antenna and 3x3 card you can support 3T3R WiFi operation on 802.11n... which gives you raw link throughput up to 450Mbps when used with a 3T3R capable router/access point.

Cheers,

Bill B.

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Siralex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,724
Message 4 of 9

did you do it?

ghostskwid
Paper Tape
Views: 6,614
Message 5 of 9

Followup, the one time OP actually delivers...

1. Removing the faceplate is an absolute pain in the ass, thinkpads are becoming so cheap...beauty truly is skin deep..extremely flimsy hooks hold it in place and need to be jiggled this way and that to remove...broke 1 hook. Also held down with crap adhesive at the bottom of the screen since the hooks don't line the full bottom of the panel. 

2. Once that's off you can locate a silver wire nested against the thinklight. This plugs into the webcam (I bought it off ebay I think x220 is compatible with x230 but check just to make sure). 

3. The 3x3 antenna is horribly soldered, it is easy to remove the antenna component and clip the grey wire leading to it. Held together with electric tape and hot glue. 

4. Once the antenna component is out, clip the grey wire. Remove the antenna 

5. Webcam must nest where the antenna was, the little holes in it are meant for little plastic protrusions you can see at the top of the case. The very visible one next to the plsatic hook to the left of the light assembly fits right into the webcam hole on the upper left. 

6. Snap that sucker into place, be sure that the wires are cleared in the top left and right for the hooks on the faceplate to enter.

7. Install webcam drivers. 

8. Done. 

Everything works well...bit of a risk but I took it. Hope this helps. Wireless speeds are completely unaffected, most likeley because I didn't take advantage of my 3x3 and most businesses don't either...

Final note, working on the internals of lenovos is really eye opening...just horrible material quality and construction. But that's why we get them cheap. 

patriczw
Paper Tape
Views: 6,241
Message 6 of 9

Hi Ghostskwid,

I have opened the case and there is the antenna and I cannot insert the webcam properly. How can you settle the 3rd antenna which blocks the webcam? 

Did you just simply move out the antenna component and cut the wire(s) and completely removed it? How can you handle the remaining open wires?

Thank you,

Pat

@ghostskwid wrote:

Followup, the one time OP actually delivers...

3. The 3x3 antenna is horribly soldered, it is easy to remove the antenna component and clip the grey wire leading to it. Held together with electric tape and hot glue. 

4. Once the antenna component is out, clip the grey wire. Remove the antenna 

ghostskwid
Paper Tape
Views: 6,183
Message 7 of 9

Hi patriczw, 

I tried fiddling around with the antenna, bending it and such. you have to pull out the middle antenna and clip the grey wire leading to it, otherwise there will be no room to install the webcam. I tried bending the antenna and ripping out the insulation/replacing with electrical tape but it just won't work, the webcam sits very low on the bezel. 

As for open wires, if I'm not delusional they should still have the 3x3 functionality but reduced range etc. Just use electrical tape and make sure the open wire is covered up and not touching any open metal components. 

patriczw
Paper Tape
Views: 6,140
Message 8 of 9

Follow-up

Just did that Ghostskwid instructed:

- Removed the antenna by cutting off the grey wire; then wrapped the open wire with electrical tape;
- Insert the webcam that is bought from ebay and it is for x220;
- Power on the laptop and windows automatically picked it up and installed driver for it.
- Test it on Skype, MSN Messenger, QQ etc. WORK!!!
- Don't really feel impact on wifi speed.

Thanks,
heurefugitive
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,980
Message 9 of 9

Hi ghostskwid,

Is it possible to add the 3rd antenna from a 2x2? How interchangeable are the antennas/camera? 

Thanks

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors