Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffBinCO
Token Ring
Views: 3,027
Message 1 of 4

X230 Microphone not working

X230 2306CTO Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The microphone was working fine after Windows 10 upgrade.  No new updates I am aware of were installed (unless forced by lenovo or microsoft without notification).  Suddenly today the built-in microphone is not detected.  Yes it is enabled in BIOS.  I uninstalled all Realtek and Dolby software and reinstalled latest Realtek High Definition Audio Driver ver. 6.0.1.7040 from lenovo support.  Clean install with 2 reboots.  Yet when I check Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound there is no recording device shown.  Right-click options to show both disabled and disconnected devices are checked.  No items appear at all.  Playback devices shows only "Speaker/HP" with "Realtek Hiogh Definition Audio default driver".

windows sound properties.png

windows sound recording properties.png

If I try to open "Dobly Digital Plus" I get this error showing audio driver 7.3.2.2 is installed by application expects verison 7.6.3.1.

dolby error.png

Software Engineer
ThinkPad T470s (20JT) | ThinkPad ThinkPad T450s | ThinkPad X250 (20BX)
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,009
Message 2 of 4

Re: X230 Microphone not working

Hi

Could you boot up laptop from the Linux LiveUSB/CD? There is a chance to reset audio chip within that OS from. As an example of such issue and troubleshooting:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-X220-Conexant-20672-SmartAudio-NO-SOUN...

Also, try to reset BIOS/EC, it'll remove electric voltage from the laptop parts, chips: unplug the battery and charger, press the power button and hold it during 20...30 seconds. Then enter BIOS Setup, load default settings and change the ones you need.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

JeffBinCO
Token Ring
Views: 3,003
Message 3 of 4

Thank you very much. The full power discharge fixed it. After BIOS reset I got a "HDD0 not detected" error. I ran BIOS diagnostics and rebooted 5 more times and finally the HDD was detected again. (I have seen that issue before.)
Software Engineer
ThinkPad T470s (20JT) | ThinkPad ThinkPad T450s | ThinkPad X250 (20BX)
nikriaz
Paper Tape
Views: 850
Message 4 of 4

I had the same problem with microphone on x240. It seems it is common problem for many Lenovos with Realtek and Connexant audio devices.

Symptoms: 

- With original Realtek drives "No audio devices are installed" on the Recording tab in Sound 

- In the Realtek HD Audio Manager no Mic tab

- If the Realtek driver unistalled via "Device Manager" and Windows installed common buil-in driver (the name of the device changed from "Relatek High Defention Audio " to "High Definition Audio Device") then two mics (internal mic array and external jack) are appeared but none of them actually work (no sound recorded at all).

No any driver manupalations are actually helped.

I have able to manage it in following way:

- Restart Windows as usual

- While "Lenovo" logo apperared press hardware reset button on the back of the case

Top Kudoed Authors