Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kazakore
Paper Tape
Views: 6,720
Message 1 of 13

X230 RAM compatibility

Hi all.

I have read around a bit and don't personally see any reason neither of these should work, but I've read some reports of people having issues with the Corsair not working and having to return it and the second pair not working. Then the HyperX for some reason mentions all the chips sets around the QM77 which is used in the X230 but not the QM77 itself, which again puts doubt in my mind. Can you confirm if either or both of these RAM kits (2x8GB) would be suitable?

http://www.ebuyer.com/370065-corsair-16gb-ddr3-1600mhz-vengeance-laptop-memory-cmsx16gx3m2a1600c10

http://www.ebuyer.com/646128-16gb-1600mhz-ddr3l-cl9-sodimm-kit-of-2-1-35v-hyperx-impact-black-hx316l...

In case links get blocked because I'm a new user they were:

Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Laptop Memory

{Kingston} 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L CL9 SODIMM (Kit of 2) 1.35V HyperX Impact Black

kazakore
Paper Tape
Views: 6,693
Message 2 of 13

Re: X230 RAM compatibility

Is the X230 actually using the QM77 or the HM77 chipset? Today I have seen websites claiming both. HM77 is listed as good for teh HyperX RAM whereas for some reason the QM77 isn't...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,689
Message 3 of 13

Hi

Lenovo official PSREF catalog says for x230:
"Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset"

PSREF shows the only ThinkPad model based on the HM77 chipset - x131e.

Regarding the memory stick do not use normal voltage only memory (1.5V), it might not work in the x230.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
x1c Gen3 (2015) • WQHD MT IPS, PCIe ssd
Miix 2 10"  |  Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android 5.0), BKC800 BT Keyboard, FolioCase
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 wireless router, hdd 1 TB, BT speaker, power bank

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

kazakore
Paper Tape
Views: 6,688
Message 4 of 13

See this thread. It clerly states the X230 should support 1.35V RAM. But if it seems this is where most people have had problems I'll chose some 1.5V RAM instead. Thought the lower voltage may give the tiniest bit of battery advantage...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Will-the-X230-use-DDR3L-ram-at-1-35v/td-p/989...

My processor is the i5-3320M.

EDIT: The Corsair Vengence I linked to is 1.5V only.

kazakore
Paper Tape
Views: 6,681
Message 5 of 13

Although the QM77 isn't shown on the official datasheet[1] a supposedly official from Kingston claims it is supported on the Amazon question[2]...

[1]http://media.kingston.com/pdfs/HyperX_Impact_EN.pdf

[2]http://www.amazon.com/upgrade-Precision-Currently-Kingston-markigs/forum/Fx2RLSWG3QIKYPC/Tx3GIZJNUXS...

Think I might just risk it and hope they work. Personally find it hard top believe it supports most other x77 chipsets and the QM67 and QM87 but not the QM77.

kazakore
Paper Tape
Views: 6,646
Message 6 of 13

Well Kingston have said it is compatible in reply to an email I sent their Support so fingers crossed it will work perfectly after the astounding lack of response here!!
Behala
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,332
Message 7 of 13

Hi kazakore,

did the Kingston Hyper X black series kit work with your machine?

I need to upgrade my RAM and think about buying the same Kingston RAM.

Thanks

kazakore
Paper Tape
Views: 6,333
Message 8 of 13

Yes it appears to be working fine. BIOS and my Linux both recognise full 16GB. Haven't done any tests for performance or anything though. And althouh I upgraded to a SSD at the same time I still seem to be getting I/O issues as if I am playing music (eg mp3s from Audacious) and uncompressing a large file I get audio drop-out and very occasional freezes, which I really don't understand!

But I'm going off topic now, as far as I can tell the RAM itself is perfectly suitable. Smiley Happy

Behala
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,238
Message 9 of 13

Thank you kazakore especially for the "off topic" part. If you like to tell I would be interested in what caused your I/O issues if you've found out yet.

kazakore
Paper Tape
Views: 6,067
Message 10 of 13

Sorry for not replying earlier I had left it open on my phone to remind myself. I'm traveling again and as such not using the laptop so much and not really found time to test. But might be worth at least adding I don't use Windows but an a Linux user (ubuntu studio 14.10 mainly which is xfce based.) I initially noticed with my old hdd and thought it was the disk starring to fail but now not do sure. I was running the ssd with noop scheduling when I noticed it and have since changed to deadline scheduling but afraid not had a chance to test it even with some of the simple things I believed triggered it before. I will try to at some point though....
Top Kudoed Authors