Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thinkybot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,870
Message 1 of 5

X230 Slow startup after installing a mSATA ssd

Hi,

I recently installed a Crucial M4 256gb mSATA SSD onto my X230. I already have the 128gb SSD that originally came with the laptop and it would startup really quickly at first. I installed it by slotting it into the mSATA slot, the computer recognized it right away, I formatted it and was able to use it right away.

But now when I startup from a power off, it takes a lot longer booting up windows. It used to be that the four coloured globes wouldn't even make the windows flag before it started, now it makes the windows flag and sits there for a bit. Then when I log in the first time, it takes about a minute to get to the desktop.

Everything else works fine, including starting from sleep mode. It's just the startup that is really slow.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

ceb
WWAN
Views: 1,846
Message 2 of 5

Re: X230 Slow startup after installing a mSATA ssd

Two questions

What are you using the mSATA drive for and what is your boot order?

thinkybot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,824
Message 3 of 5

I'm using the mSATA SSD as my secondary hard drive. My original SSD is still being used as the boot drive that contains the OS.

In the BIOS, I'm still using the default boot order. I believe it is USB CD, external drive, then my original 128gb SSD. I removed the mSATA drive from the boot order.

It's strange to me that it takes awhile to load after I log on from the welcome screen...

ceb
WWAN
Views: 1,810
Message 4 of 5

Try putting your SSD first in line for booting and see if that helps. I suspect that your mSATA is still in the boot order somewhere (external hdd perhaps?) and that is mucking things up.

thinkybot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,786
Message 5 of 5

Ok, that helped with starting up to the login screen, but from the login screen to the desktop, it still has that problem...it used to be near instantaneous, but now it takes like a minute or two to get from login screen to desktop.

I've read that some people have had a similar problem in Windows after installing a second hard drive, but I haven't found any good solution.

Anybody else experience this? Any help would be very appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors