Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enero
Paper Tape
Views: 335
Message 1 of 4

X230 battery not discharging

Hi,

I have a problem with battery on my 1 year old X230 (currently on Windows 8.1). My battery is behaving weird lately. Once it is fully charged, it stays at 100% for let's say 3-4 hours and after that it'll go to zero really quickly. What can I do to fix that?

Additionally, my fingerprint sensor just stopped working a few months ago. Just like that. Thinkvantage fingerprint sensor cannot detect it anymore. What can cause that?

Thank you.

-enero

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 319
Message 2 of 4

Re: X230 battery not discharging

Hi,

unfortunately Lenovo doesn't offer Power Manager application for win8 as well the OS doesn't allow to check out battery settings we need using built-in tools.

Perhaps installation of Power Manager for win7 in compatibility mode will show you the battery statistics. I mean a cycle count. This one of the key statistic parameters.

What to do?
1. Perform a battery reset. No problem in win7 but even in compatibility mode PM might not allow to do that. But I didn't check.
2. As the win8 keeps the battery fully charged all the time, it decreases the battery healthy. Solution is to set the battery charge threshold. Again, it's possible but not in PM under win8. Only 3rd party tools do that. Also there are tons attempts to change the registry settings for that purpose here on forum but I can't confirm a success.

Regarding the FPR if you don't see anything unusual in BIOS Setup and Device Manager solution is standard - remove and reinstall FPR sw. If that will not resolve an issue disassemble keyboard and palmrest and check out ribbon cable from FPR and its connect to the systemboard.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

enero
Paper Tape
Views: 301
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply.

I (probably with a bit of luck) installed Power Manager on my Win 8.1 and
started the battery reset. Now I need to wait a few hours for the procedure
to be completed. Regarding the amount of charging cycles - it says 205.
Isn't that too much after a year and a few months?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 297
Message 4 of 4

Yes, this number is rather big not only for one year in order to design capacity (battery controller knows about) became contradict current full charge capacity value you'll see after the reset process will be finished (do not power off laptop!). This contradiction and the battery charge dynamics change doesn't allow the battery controller to provide correct values for power management tools. Battery reset will match full charge capacity parameter to its actual value. It'll become 10%...20% less.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors