Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluppfisk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,386
Message 1 of 8

X230 lid cracked: material weakness - Lenovo won't repair

When I took my computer off my desk the other day in order to carry it to my work, I found out that the lid had cracked, just underneath the Lenovo brand name, so the front part of the lid comes off and I can see the screen between.

I went into my local Lenovo ThinkCenter and asked them to repair this problem, but they said this kind of damage is not covered by the warranty. I stand by it that this is a case of material weakness and it ought to be covered. The product simply doesn't correspond to what is promised. Also, I'm afraid that the crack may have caused one of the WiFi antennas to break, besides further impacting the structural integrity of the computer.

The computer had never fallen, been hit nor has any it been exposed to any kind of impact. It is also only 2 months old. Of course, this is hard to prove, but there are no other signs of damage on the exterior, which would be the case if it had indeed fallen. And this is a Thinkpad, they're supposed to be able to withstand a certain degree of impact anyway. My X200 went through some seriously rough jungle and never had any problem.

The reason I had bought another Thinkpad after my X200 - despite a below-average screen resolution and an above-average price - was their superior customer support. If my issue is not dealt with properly, if it cannot be repaired for free and within a couple of working days, this will be my last ever Lenovo. These are business machines and when you pay for 3 years of international warranty, you don't do that to be denied service at the first little occasion.

/S

qq6764770
Punch Card
Views: 2,249
Message 2 of 8

Re: X230 lid cracked: material weakness - Lenovo won't repair

My thinkpad W530 had similar problem, had you solved your problems?

Highlighted
bluppfisk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,232
Message 3 of 8

So far no luck. I've escalated a million times and will take legal action if necessary. Now one of the "highest offices" is looking at my case (no pun intended). Problem is that through the cracks all kinds of stuff are getting behind my screen. They may have to repair that too, because as far as I know problems with the screen _are_ covered by the warranty.

Let me know what happens to yours.

ritchie100203
Paper Tape
Views: 1,960
Message 4 of 8

same with my x230  at the top left side near the lenovo logo... is there any update regarding your case.. do lenovo take any action regarding this problem.?

bambambedrocks
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,677
Message 5 of 8

I'd like to know also
swaldman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,557
Message 6 of 8

Same problem here, with an X230, although in my case the machine is 2.5 years old (still in the 3-year warranty). It's never been dropped, or misused. It has been used a lot - that's the reason that I bought a supposedly-durable Thinkpad with a supposedly-excellent warranty in the first place. At the moment my laptop is held together with gaffer tape, they're insisting that this is not a "hardware defect" (what else can it be?!), and they're offering to fix it for a price for which I could go out and buy a brand new (non-Lenovo) laptop!

Really not happy. If not durability and service, just what do we pay extra for Thinkpads for?

Artur90
Paper Tape
Views: 1,462
Message 7 of 8

I am also experiencing the cracked lid above lenovo logo,  it spreads around the left corner, started from side edge growing towards front edge of the lid.  The laptop was not exposed to abnormal conditions and have been in use for 2 years now as a daily machine. It is still under warranty. Is there a point to contact them since more likely it will be considered as not a hardware damage?

ironkitt
What's DOS?
Views: 960
Message 8 of 8

Same here. Never felt or anything and the plastic frame broke in upper left corrner of the lid from normal usage.

Very bad construction. Where are the times when grandma would put your thinkpad into an oven and take it out still fully functional.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors