cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alisonkay
Paper Tape
Views: 1,177
Message 1 of 9

X230 options in the UK - does lenovo release more choices for configuration?

Hi there

I posted this on another forum, but thought it might get more of a response on the lenovo forum, so apologies if anyone has read this before.

I need a new laptop soon, my T60 is on its last legs, but has lasted a great length of time. I am considering buying either the x220 or the x230, but I live in the UK and the X230 is only available with 2 processor options, the i5 3210 or else the i7. The latter makes it considerably more expensive and probably is too much for what I need. Lenovo is also not letting me upgrade the screen from the default option, as the upgrade is the 3 x 3 antenna (?) so I can't get the webcam.

I was originally going to really spec up the 220 and go for that, but I have heard about screen warping problems (my other half has a t400s and has been plagued by the chassis cracking at the palm rests) so I want to avoid that. I know all the other major X220 problems such as throttling have been fixed, one of the benefits of getting a tried and tested machine.

I guess my question really is which one should I buy... I am not a gamer, I will be using it for running SPSS, a statistics package; watching movies and streaming etc.

Would I be better getting the sale price on the 220 now or do I wait to see if the x230 has more configurations for the uk in the next couple of months? (does lenovo usually increase the options for configuration?) I don't want to lost a good deal on the 220.

What do I do? I am very confused!
Many thanks for your help

Alison

RichardW
802.11n
Views: 1,163
Message 2 of 9

Re: X230 options in the UK - does lenovo release more choices for configuration?

@alisonkay wrote:

I was originally going to really spec up the 220 and go for that, but I have heard about screen warping problems

I think the X220 and X230 use exactly all the same screen parts, and therefore susceptible to the same problems. I've had my X220 for over a year and haven't had any warping problem.

alisonkay
Paper Tape
Views: 1,160
Message 3 of 9

Re: X230 options in the UK - does lenovo release more choices for configuration?

Thanks for that Richard, really good to know that that the same parts are used.....
How do you find your 220? Does the X230 spec make you wish you had it?

I am really struggling to decide whether I would really notice a difference between the models, as coming from my slow brick, anything will be better.... I just don't want to feel that for the sake of a few weeks I am making a snap decision!!!! But the X220 is so cheap right now...

I wish I were back in the States to have the full choice of customisation!
RichardW
802.11n
Views: 1,121
Message 4 of 9

@alisonkay wrote:
Thanks for that Richard, really good to know that that the same parts are used.....
How do you find your 220? Does the X230 spec make you wish you had it?

The spec changes are not large enough to make me wish I had an X230. I think the only change that might truly make a difference for a typical user is the HD4000 graphics, but only for gaming. If I were choosing between the two at the moment, it would be the X220 for the price. In your situation, ability to get a screen upgrade (combined with webcam) would seal the decision. The X220 also has a classic keyboard like your T60 and it will be familiar to you.

In comparison to a T60, I think you'll appreciate the performance, weight and portability of an X220 but the smaller palm rest area is less comfortable and the 1366x768 screen resolution can be a challenge at times.

alisonkay
Paper Tape
Views: 1,097
Message 5 of 9

Hi there, just to let you know - I went for the X220.

I went for the i7 processor as it was only £25 more than the i5 I was looking at. It wasn't hugely cheaper than the X230 in the end, but the clock speed of the processor is much faster and the cache is bigger, so that is good I think...

I would have been compromising on too many things with the X230. Hopefully by going for the i 7 and having the USB3 I have managed to futureproof it a little!

Now the next thing is to find a decent case and a decent sleeve... decisions!!

Thanks for your help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 778
Message 6 of 9

alisonkay,

the only reasons for getting x230 instead of x220 are IMHO:
1. hd4000 video if you are a gamer
2. usb 3 ports in all models
3. x230 supports 4g/LTE networks (presently the only US cariers are supported with Sierra mc7700/7740 cards), so there should be several antennas changes

As for the LCD IPS panel in x230 - it's the same model as in x220, LG LP125WH2-SLB1

And you are right - it's very strange single configuration with IPS panel and 3x3 antennas on UK site.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

sdnetwork
Punch Card
Views: 769
Message 7 of 9

in fact in all european website Smiley Sad

famerbb
Serial Port
Views: 541
Message 8 of 9

I have a list of X230 models announced in the UK, complete with prices and ordering partnumbers. You can generate such a list yourself, using the PC Sales Guide/Configurator, free download available at www.pscfg.com/downloads.htm. There is a version in German as well. The UK version, while in English, also has French and Italian prices for some of the Lenovo partnumbers it contains. If you want a copy of the list without getting the tool drop me a note. Pasting it into these windows loses all the formatting.
gusf1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 331
Message 9 of 9

Hi

In the UK you can now finally order a 2x2 antenna IPS X230. 

Although no discounts at present... so seems quite steep... going to wait a week or so in case a discount magically appears again (seems to happen irregularly)

Gus

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors