Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-24-2013

United States

3 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 1 of 3

X230 screen freezing - screen stops updating, goes gray - possible ribbon cable issue

2013-07-24, 4:46 AM

I've begun having an issue with my work X230.  On occasion, especially after I open the screen from the closed position, the LCD will freeze and stop updating.  Sometimes individual pixels also begin to grey out or turn white, leaving a sort of dithered greyscale image of the currently open window.  I've hooked up a secondary screen and can confirm that:

• The mouse and keyboard are still working, so it's not an input issue.
  • The desktop and apps on the secondary screen are still responsive, so it's not a GPU issue
  • When the primary display is closed, the current application appears on the secondary display and is responsive, so it's not an application issue.

Adjusting the screen tilt repeatedly can cause this problem to go away, as can pushing on the surface of the annunciator bar below the LCD (the part of the bezel with the "lenovo" and "X230" logos, near the hinges).  I'm 99% certain this is a ribbon cable issue, either caused by a nearly-dislodged cable or a worn cable.  I've seen the same situation with a couple other laptops in the past.

However, I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone else seen this issue, and if so, what was your solution?

2) Is this user-repairable?

3) Is there anything I can do to keep this issue from worsening?

Thanks.

Options

19 Posts

07-23-2013

Raleigh N.C.

41 Signins

571 Page Views

• Views: 571
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X230 screen freezing - screen stops updating, goes gray - possible ribbon cable issue

2013-07-24, 5:12 AM

Hello Lenovo customer,

From the symptoms you have described it seems as if there may be a fault with the LCD cable within the machine. The indication that i have that it is the cable, is when you stated that the issue is resolved when you change the position that the LCD panel is sitting in. The LCD Cable isn't a customer replaceable unit so you may need to contact technical support in order to organize a service to get the LCD Cable replaced.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X230 screen freezing - screen stops updating, goes gray - possible ribbon cable issue

2013-07-24, 13:58 PM
My x220 did this. If it follows the pattern I had, it will get worse over time. I would recommend that you get the screen replaced.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms