Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesfadams
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,144
Message 11 of 37

Re: X230 suddenly powers off

Update on Post #2:

I took the ThinkPad X230 in to Quality High-Tech in Dallas (nice folks) and explained the history.  After various diagnostic tests, they replaced the system board.  They ran more tests.  So far there have been no failures.

The repair shop said that they could not identify exactly what failed on the system board.  Apparently repair of a component is not an option anyway on that model.  Good thing I purchased the Extended Warranty from Lenovo.

No charge for a warranty repair; however, I am out the price of a new battery and SSD that I might not have otherwise purchased.  Note to self: Take the computer to the shop first if under warranty ...

Thanks for everyone's input.

Souji
What's DOS?
Views: 5,116
Message 12 of 37

I have the same problem. First signs already occured after one year. Especially in conjunction with docking the notebook, the problem seems to occur more frequently. It is very annoying. My suspicion is that something is more sensitive to dust or other things than it should be.

One way I found to mitigate the problem is to use a vacuum cleaner. I cleaned it from various directions. Also I opened the notebook and tried to clean it inside. After that the problem disappeared for several months. Now it is starting to reoccur.

mifronte
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,085
Message 13 of 37

A new system board just after 2 years?  They had the same problem on earlier Thinkpads like the X201.  I am out of warranty and a new system board is like a new laptop.  I guess Thinkpads are now no longer reliable.

I am now experiencing random shutdown/power loss more frequently.  This happens with and without the battery.  It is definitely not a heating issue since the power loss can occur right after waking from sleep or a power up when the computer has not been used.  After restarting, the computer can run for hours before losing power again.

The windows log only shows:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

mifronte
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,053
Message 14 of 37

Further troubleshooting reveals the following:

01. Sudden power loss occurred when I boot from USB with memtest86+.

02. Sudden power loss occurred while I was in the BIOS setup.

03. memtest86+ ran 10 hrs and did not detect any memory failures.

04. Problem is getting worse as I am now experiencing sudden power loss 3-5 times daily.
Former Administrator
Views: 5,017
Message 15 of 37

mifronte, et all

If this happened while in BIOS it doesn't sound like any driver / OS related issue.

What BIOS version is everyone running?   Could you report BIOS and (EC level if listed).

It could have been a battery connection issue, but if AC is connected it seems odd...

The suggestion about battery door was interesting too - to see if this was ESD related.   As we get into Winter, ESD issues then to increase so I found it interesting that this thread started in January.

Are any of you noting static electricity in your environments?

Mark

mifronte
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,008
Message 16 of 37

Here is my BIOS information:

UEFI BIOS Version: G2ET95WW (2.55)

Embedded Controller Version: G2HT33W (1.12)

As far as I can tell, no static electricity in my environment and nothing out of the ordinary from previous years.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,002
Message 17 of 37

mifronte,

read my post below:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/x220-issues/m-p/2027392#M61289

Shortly: possible issue cause might be a dust on the open PCB's contact pads.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

mifronte
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,999
Message 18 of 37

I had disassembled the X230 this past weekend thinking I will blow off the dust, especially on the fan.

Surprisingly, there were hardly any dust at all, even on the fan.  The main board was completely covered with a black sheet resembling film negative.  I did noticed that all the thermal paste on the CPU had completely melted to the side leaving none on the CPU.  So I cleaned off all the old thermal paste on the CPU and the PCH chip and added new paste before resassembling.  It is odd that the old paste appears to be more rubber like than my Artic Silver 5 paste.

I will report back in a couple of weeks ...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,989
Message 19 of 37

On the picture below, in the red area, the dust was present and laptop (x230) had the same issue. As you see, it's not a fan, but a PCB surface and open SMD components.
http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=attach:17:50893:722:1.jpg

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

mifronte
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,984
Message 20 of 37

I can't recall if my PCB surface was that exposed. I just remembered that it was very well covered with the black material still in one piece.

Anyway, I did give a good spraying of compressed air to all components before reassembly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors