Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francislai
Punch Card
Views: 71,191
Message 1 of 14

X230 unable to enter bios set up, need help PLEASE

Dear Someotherguy or any expert who may help me,

When I powered up my X230, I pressed 'enter" to get access to the startup interrrupt menu, unfortunately I am unable to choose my options listed in the interrupt menu, no matter I pressed F1 for bios set up or F12 for boot options, it led to a black page shown initializing boot agent with version shown with a cursor blinking, and I was stucked there, I need to power off my laptop and restart, there is no problem of entering the OS but I have no access to bios setting and I can not reinstall my OS with USB boot. I am grateful to anyone who may help me of aforementioned.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 71,142
Message 2 of 14

Re: X230 unable to enter bios set up, need help PLEASE

This issue should be fixed with version 2.x of BIOS for T430/T530/W530/X230/X1C

For X230 there is BIOS 2.02 that solves this issue.

ISO:  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&DocID=DS029188

Windows:  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS029187

If you go with the ISO version, it may be necessary to physically remove the HDD to get the system to boot to the CD.

francislai
Punch Card
Views: 71,135
Message 3 of 14

Dear Someotherguy,
I am grateful to your prompt reply. The happening was occured after I flashed the bios to 2.02 version, I had tried to re-flash the bios but the effort was in vain owing to the same image. Is there any other solution you may have? Thank you!
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 71,130
Message 4 of 14

I'm sorry I don't have any other advice for you.  If BIOS 2.02 doesn't solve the issue then I think it might be some other issue I'm not familiar with.  I suggest you call the service phone number in your country to request a warranty repair.  Sorry for this trouble.

francislai
Punch Card
Views: 71,122
Message 5 of 14

Would you think the next bios update will solve the problem? Implying that is this a bios program isssue or hardware issue?
peloe
What's DOS?
Views: 71,075
Message 6 of 14

Today I ran into same trouble with an X230 and BIOS version 2.02.

I discovered that the issues are related to USB devices (in my case a Lenovo USB mouse) connected to the docking station (ThinkPad UltraBase Series 3, FRU P/N 04W6846) while doing a cold boot. If you disconnect the USB mouse, entering the BIOS setup works as expected. Once you entered the BIOS you can reconnect the USB mouse and reboot the system by using <CTRL>+<ALT>+<DEL> as often as you want. Entering the BIOS setup works each time than.

Furthermore I found out that the problem also occurs without using the docking station if you connect the USB mouse to the (yellow) "AlwaysOn" USB connector. If you use one of the (blue) USB 3.0 connectors, everything works fine.

This behavior looks like a BIOS bug during system initialization.

francislai
Punch Card
Views: 70,667
Message 7 of 14

I can enter bios once I disconnect the USB wireless mouse which attached to the 'always on" port, but needed to press F1 repeatedly but not always everytime it works. Awaiting to ultimate solution ! Grateful to your advice.

francislai
Punch Card
Views: 70,632
Message 8 of 14

Thanks to Peloe, his proposed solution work perfectly. If there is no USB device attached to the 'always on' USB port, you may enter bios anytime you want, it just took few seconds for the machine to load(previously I misunderdood there was no respond and needed to press F1 repeatedly), but sure it works.!

Highlighted
shimada
Blue Screen Again
Views: 70,141
Message 9 of 14

I updated the my Lenovo X230 BIOS to 2.06 and hit the same problem, the BIOS was not starting. 

I tried the above steps but to no avail. So after much persistance, trial and error, I got it to work, below are the steps I did. I could not replicate the scenario as once it started working, it worked, could not bring it back to the stage when it was stuck at the BIOS loading screen. 

1) Unplugged all USB.

2) Downloaded the BIOS Update Bootable CD in ISO format http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS029188 (not the update utility).

3) Copy the downloaded ISO file into a USB Thumb Drive.

4) Plug the USB ThumbDrive into a non yellow USB port (the yellow one didn't work).

5) Restart and tried enterting BIOS. Voila! It started like normal. And it started ever since, with or without the USB. 

You might want to try these steps if you anything else is not working for you. The boot order might or might not be in favour in your own settings. But well since you are stuck, no hard trying it out, not alot of hassle.

stas_r
What's DOS?
Views: 69,445
Message 10 of 14

I have same problem with bios...

I've been looking for a solution.

And as a result I found that the problem occurs when I turn off bluetooth (fn + F5 - bluetooth radio off).

If I turn on the bluetooth, I can enter the BIOS. If I turn off bluetooth - no Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors