Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tivigno
What's DOS?
Views: 4,002
Message 11 of 14

Re: X230 unable to enter bios set up, need help PLEASE

I had the same issue and I found that I was able to enter the bios only when I restart the computer. A cold reboot is not showing the message asking to press enter to get into the bios.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,984
Message 12 of 14

@Tivigno wrote:

I had the same issue and I found that I was able to enter the bios only when I restart the computer. A cold reboot is not showing the message asking to press enter to get into the bios.

If you are running Win8/Win8.1, this is because choosing shutdown in the Win8 charms bar is not really a cold boot.  Instead it is new type of boot invented by Microsoft called "hybrid shutdown".  It is somewhat like hibernate, and starting up from this state does not allow you to enter BIOS setup.

Anyway, to do a real cold boot, press and hold the Shift key while selecting shutdown in the Win8 charms bar.  Or open command prompt and run the command "shutdown -s -f -t 0".  Then, when you turn on the computer you will be able to enter BIOS setup.

nice_guy
What's DOS?
Views: 2,074
Message 13 of 14

After upgrading BIOS to 2.66 wasn't still unable to enter bios, but lenovo released an update wich resolved the issue.

It's called:

"Hotkey Feature Integration"

and is downloadable from Lenovo/support site; you'll have to revrite some Lenovo-system-files andthan during boot-up the line: "Press Enter to start bios setup"   will reappear.

Hope this helps!

bahnstormer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,722
Message 14 of 14

yep - 100% reproducable... if I leave ANYTHING in the always on USB port (e.g. USB pendrive on my X230), then it ignores all POST key entries....

Elbow deep in Thinkpads since the Pentium 100Mhz....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors