Us

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 4

X230 windows 8 system restore

2012-12-05, 9:35 AM

Hi

I just got my x230 today and was playing around with the system restore (f11) function since I want to upgrade the hdd to ssd soon. The machine comes with windows 8. 

After booting into the recovery patriton, I clicked through "trouble shoot" then advanced options then "system image recovery" .However the restore program complains right away that a system image cannot be found. Has anyone tried this?

I searched for a while and couldnt find anything so decided to create an account ask my question directly here.

thanks

Options

12 Posts

10-23-2011

USA

34 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: X230 windows 8 system restore

2012-12-06, 5:28 AM

I have two x230 I got last week.

I have proved that the Recovery Drive you create from within Win8 does not restore properly. THe PC will not boot.

I called Lenove and got them to ship me recovery DVDs, which took 1.5 hrs, but did recreat the machine. 

I have since found out that there startup and recovery software have been completely re-written with security in mind, but creating a nightmare for those of who regularly image and restore drives.  The big change is something called UEFI BIOS, which need to be configured for SECURE Boot to be OFF, if you want to boot from any external device that contains a different OS.  I use Active Disk Boot from LSOFT.NET for years, to image and repartition XP, Vista and Win7 drives, with 100% reliability. I have restore 500GB Win 2003 servers using RAID5 with SAS drives with this software.

But with WIN8, it creates an image without problems, but after a restore, the Windows Boot Manager cannot find the System boot files.  So get Recovery Disks from Lenovo ASAP. 

BTW, the reinstallation process is fully documented on Lenovo's web site and is accurate:

http://download.lenovo.com/express/WIN8-DWGRD.html#win8

Options

12 Posts

10-23-2011

USA

34 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: X230 windows 8 system restore UPDATE

2012-12-31, 3:48 AM

I have since figured out the problem.

When you recreate the machine from Lenovo Recovery Media, it asks you if you want an MBR or GPT drive setup,

For any of the Recovery Drive or WIndows installation Media to see UEFI GPT partitions, then the BOOT sequence must be set to UEFI ONLY, or OS Optimized Defaults ENABLED,  in bios.

Once that is done, all the Recovery processes work properly!

System Resore, System Image restore, booting into the Recovery Environement, all can find the existing Win8 installation as well as the Backup images.

The only place this is hinted at in Lenovo documentation, is in the 6 page 4x4 sheet of paper that comes with the Lenovo Recovery Media for my Thinkpad x230.  There it tells you to enable OS Optimized Defaults if you want Secure Boot to work.  All software that depends on the UEFI bios will not work, unless UEFI is the ONLY boot option.

Options

498 Posts

12-11-2012

North Carolina

274 Signins

15035 Page Views

• Views: 15035
  • Message 4 of 4

Re: X230 windows 8 system restore UPDATE

2013-01-02, 20:00 PM

Awesome information solr_07666! Thank you for the updated information, it will be useful for many readers. I am curious to see if this works for the OP.

Thank you for being a part of the Lenovo Family,

Catie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms