Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsbrux
Token Ring
Views: 260
Message 1 of 12

X230T "needs to restart to install a firmware update"

Today my X230 tablet confronted me with the above message while docked in its UltraBase 3. I am very nervous because.

1. I have not recently initiated any firmware update.
  2. AFAIK I have nothing configured to update automatically.
  3. I have not installed "Vantage" from the Microsoft store.

I have found posts (mostly negative) about firmware updates for a different docking station (AFAIK, the UltraBase 3 doesn't have any firmware).

How can I be sure this is a legitimate update?

If it isn't, how can I prevent it?

X320T running Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Guru
Views: 255
Message 2 of 12

Re: X230T "needs to restart to install a firmware update"

Could you please provide a screenshot of the message?
rsbrux
Token Ring
Views: 217
Message 3 of 12

The notice comes up first on startup with a 15-minute grace period, which I then "Close" to prevent installation.  A short while later I get a 5-minute notice.  The second notivce sometimes stays in the background and I find myself unable to give it focus to click on th "Close" button.  In this case, my last resort to prevent installation is to shut down the system.  A screenshot of the first notification is attached. I didn't find a way to attach more than one file.

rsbrux
Token Ring
Views: 216
Message 4 of 12

Here is the second notification.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 206
Message 5 of 12

Hi rsbrux,

From the look of the notification, that firmware update is coming in via Windows Update, so that's where you need to look to determine exactly what it is (Windows>Settings>Updates & Security).

Let us know what you find!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
rsbrux
Token Ring
Views: 202
Message 6 of 12

Thanks, but I tried that before posting here. No indication of any critical update pending. I also wouldn't expect a firmware update to come from Windows, since firmware is hardware-dependent. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 195
Message 7 of 12

Welcome to the new world of updates - coming at you through Windows Update.

What do you see in Update history?

rsbrux
Token Ring
Views: 189
Message 8 of 12

Nothing unusual (see attachment). What makes you think that Windows Update would deliver a firmware update?  Firmware updates are usually a matter for the hardware manufacturer, which is why I posted here.

P.S. To answer my own question, I found this post about Windows updates to UEFI BIOS:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/bringup/windows-uefi-firmware-update-platf...

However, I am still confused, as I have set my BIOS to "Legacy Mode" instead of UEFI.

Lenovo System Update showed an UltraNav driver update as well as an update to the BIOS when I ran it earlier (I currently have 2.71), before I ran "Lenovo Diagnostics" v4.29.0.30, but it no longer finds anything: "There  are no applicable packages found for your system..."

P.P.S. I tried to download the BIOS update (to v 2.73) from https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/gcuj32us.exe, but I get:

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #30.c524350.1559570598.b7eba12

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 159
Message 9 of 12

With no more information, my guess is that it's the Intel Management Engine Firmware.

P.P.S. Your BIOS download link is working from here. Try it again, maybe there was a temporary glitch.

rsbrux
Token Ring
Views: 138
Message 10 of 12

The IME explanation occurred to me as well, but I found nothing on the Intel website about the text I am seeing, nor did I find any news anywhere about a recent update to IME.

I don't like to guess, especially as IME is a known vector for malware.

The problems with the BIOS download do indeed appear to have been due to a temporary problem server side.  I have reflashed the BIOS from Lenovo System Update ("BIOS is updated successfully") and am now waiting in vain (for over 5 minutes) for a restart ("WARNING: System will shutdown or reboot in 5 seconds!")

P.S. The PC finally restarted, but the warnings about a pending firmware update are still there :-{

P.P.S. I checked IME in my system and the service is disabled and the console shows no events.  Is it still likely or possible that it is trying to update itself?  I have tried to identify the process displaying the update firmware prompt using both Task Manager and SysInternals Process Explorer, but without success.  The prompt is either hidden in the background, where I cannot point Process Explorer to it, or it appears in foreground, blocking all other activity, like a UAC prompt.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors